Accu-Chek reliability

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
On 1st Feb I had the following readings CONSECUTIVELY (at least 4 hours after breakfast) of 171/189/159 mmg/dL (respectively 9.5/10.5/8.8 mmol/L. This was supposed to be my normal pre-lunch test but in view of the 171 reading, which should have been in the 120's, I took the next two tests immediately. Four hours later I had the following two readings 211(11.7) and 208(11.6). Two hours later I had ERROR reading E-9 indicating a flat battery and this with a meter only 3 months old. My previous One-Touch Ultra used to go for years without a battery change !!

The readings have very gradually reduced to levels 3 points (mmol) above my average readings but not one back to normal.

My eyesight always becomes blurred if I transgress but for most of this time my eyesight was good - which makes me question the Accu-Chek meter.

Users of Accu-Chek please comment if you are able. I should have stated that the meter is a PERFORMA.

Last edited:

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use an Accu-Chek Performa Nano alongside the Freestyle Libre and test about five times a day. The readings I get are good. I log my blood glucose and the predicted HbA1c has been within 3mmol/mol of the lab test the three times I've taken it. Meters are allowed to be out by 15% so your readings are within range. To test the accuracy, there's a calibration solution you can get. All measuring equipment should be calibrated from time to time.

I also have a Fora diamond and a Codefree meter, and I've tested them together a few times. The Accu-Chek always read the highest by 0.5-1 mmol/l, but it could be a coincidence.

For batteries I started off using some cheap IKEA ones, which had to be changed every few weeks. I thought blood glucose meters were serious energy monsters. Then I got some other batteries, which have been in there for six months and are still going.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
I use an Accu-Chek Performa Nano alongside the Freestyle Libre and test about five times a day. The readings I get are good. I log my blood glucose and the predicted HbA1c has been within 3mmol/mol of the lab test the three times I've taken it. Meters are allowed to be out by 15% so your readings are within range. To test the accuracy, there's a calibration solution you can get. All measuring equipment should be calibrated from time to time.

I also have a Fora diamond and a Codefree meter, and I've tested them together a few times. The Accu-Chek always read the highest by 0.5-1 mmol/l, but it could be a coincidence.

For batteries I started off using some cheap IKEA ones, which had to be changed every few weeks. I thought blood glucose meters were serious energy monsters. Then I got some other batteries, which have been in there for six months and are still going.
@hyponilla That was a very helpful reply - especially with regarding batterries. I never believe in coincidences especially with electronics and I think my Accu-Chek was exercising a starnge tantrum to be soo high the very day the battery gave out. I will let matters settle and try to get a comparison test and will ask my pharmacy for the solution which should have been with the kit I believe.. Full marks for such a comprehensive reply - thanks again.

dipsydo

Are the strips from a tub which had been open for a few days . I have accuchek and I had problem with some strips from a 50 strip tub , ok for the first couple of days then went rogue when tub had been opened for some days of days. I knew it was the strips as I got a new tub of 10 strips and the result was consistently different ( the duff strips were showing higher than expected ) when I compared results from same drop. Did complain but got nowhere . I have had no issue since but might be worth checking if duff batch of strips rather than the meter.