Accuchek mobile/mySugr/wireless adapter

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone - I've been looking for a new monitor that lets me use an app and will help me eat to the meter. I can only cope with so much research before my head explodes, so after not-terribly-extensive investigations I plumped for the accuchek mobile, as it has a cassette instead of strips, meaning I can test during the day at work and when out and about, and not have to dispose of test strips in the sanitary bin in the loo or keep dropping the finger pricker! The cassette is a bit more expensive than some strips, but not that bad when you get the VAT off, and the convenience of the all in one unit is more important to me at the moment.

So, here's the thing... I assumed in these days of advanced tech that the unit would have wifi connectivity, silly me. But no, you have to get a separate wireless adaptor, which looks enormous. The good thing is that they send you one free, but they say "when available" - does anyone know what that means? Has anyone got one?

MySugr looks quite good, but I am having to log entries manually till the wireless adaptor arrives. Is anyone using Pro? Is it worth the pennies?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi everyone - I've been looking for a new monitor that lets me use an app and will help me eat to the meter. I can only cope with so much research before my head explodes, so after not-terribly-extensive investigations I plumped for the accuchek mobile, as it has a cassette instead of strips, meaning I can test during the day at work and when out and about, and not have to dispose of test strips in the sanitary bin in the loo or keep dropping the finger pricker! The cassette is a bit more expensive than some strips, but not that bad when you get the VAT off, and the convenience of the all in one unit is more important to me at the moment.

So, here's the thing... I assumed in these days of advanced tech that the unit would have wifi connectivity, silly me. But no, you have to get a separate wireless adaptor, which looks enormous. The good thing is that they send you one free, but they say "when available" - does anyone know what that means? Has anyone got one?

MySugr looks quite good, but I am having to log entries manually till the wireless adaptor arrives. Is anyone using Pro? Is it worth the pennies?
I don’t know much about your meter I’m afraid, but I’ve been using the pro version of MySugr for years - by completing the Snack & Check challenge within the app regularly. I love it, because I log all my meals, I can do a search and see how I dosed for a particular food, and whether I got it right or not. It becomes more valuable the more data you input, I’ve found. Just turn the monster’s sound off ;)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I applied for the adapor thingy a month ago, no sign of it yet.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t know much about your meter I’m afraid, but I’ve been using the pro version of MySugr for years - by completing the Snack & Check challenge within the app regularly. I love it, because I log all my meals, I can do a search and see how I dosed for a particular food, and whether I got it right or not. It becomes more valuable the more data you input, I’ve found. Just turn the monster’s sound off ;)

Oh my God I know what you mean about the monster!! Found out the hard way and almost jumped out of my skin!

Thanks for the reply - I like the meter for convenience but finding it a little old school tech wise (display reminds me of my first mobile phone, and the button press interface is very clunky. I'm hoping the wireless adaptor arrives soon because logging manually is a pain, while I'm testing very frequently.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh my God I know what you mean about the monster!! Found out the hard way and almost jumped out of my skin!

Thanks for the reply - I like the meter for convenience but finding it a little old school tech wise (display reminds me of my first mobile phone, and the button press interface is very clunky. I'm hoping the wireless adaptor arrives soon because logging manually is a pain, while I'm testing very frequently.
My Omnipod control unit is like a 1990s pager :wideyed:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I applied for the adapor thingy a month ago, no sign of it yet.
Oh no, I was afraid of that. Thanks - I might see if one is available on a well-known auction site.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Omnipod control unit is like a 1990s pager :wideyed:
Ha, yes - the Braun omnitest I was given by the DN was a much more advanced LCD display. I have a feeling BG monitor tech is exploding at the moment, so maybe worth waiting for a new one, but had to seize the day to start eating to the meter more.

Reactions: LooperCat

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just took another look at the accu chek site for the free adaptor. It says it takes up to 3 months. If unsuccessful you’ll get an email. I did notice, after I filled in the form, that type 2 need to be getting strips on prescription to qualify, so not a huge %. Can’t see them for sale anywhere though

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just took another look at the accu chek site for the free adaptor. It says it takes up to 3 months. If unsuccessful you’ll get an email. I did notice, after I filled in the form, that type 2 need to be getting strips on prescription to qualify, so not a huge %. Can’t see them for sale anywhere though
Ah thanks - I was given a basic monitor and used to get strips but my practice stopped supplying type 2s, so unlikely for me then. I might give customer services a call and see if I can buy one from them. Bit of a swizz if we can't even buy the wireless adaptor, I can't get it to upload via the micro usb either. I see Accuchek do as monitor with bluetooth, but it's not all in one like the mobile. Grr.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just emailed customer services, as they are not open at weekends. Will update here when I hear anything.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah thanks - I was given a basic monitor and used to get strips but my practice stopped supplying type 2s, so unlikely for me then. I might give customer services a call and see if I can buy one from them. Bit of a swizz if we can't even buy the wireless adaptor, I can't get it to upload via the micro usb either. I see Accuchek do as monitor with bluetooth, but it's not all in one like the mobile. Grr.

I connected mine once but as I usually use an iPad it was a bit of a pain digging a laptop out and I didn’t much like their software.

stephiesut

I received my wireless adaptor this morning. It’s a little bulky, but it still fits in the case. It’s actually a pretty neat little gizmo, once connected you just press the button on the adapter after testing, and it sends the reading straight to the app in my phone.

Reactions: Nidge247 and HSSS

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad yours has come!

I don't think I will get an adapter, as I'm type 2. I emailed them but they returned a standard email and didn't address my question of whether I could buy one, but they did say you can connect using a micro usb. Too much faff, though, I bought the mobile for wireless connectivity!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got mine today! Quite impressed. My logging has never been great as it was too much of a faff. I just make a mental note of stuff. Now I understand why people can identify the trends they do. I was always mystified by their ability to see patterns. Just need to remember to take the time to log stuff that’ll make it more useful.

The app mySugr is going to take a bit of time to use fully. I’ve sussed all the basics I think but the reports are either more limited than I want or I’m yet to work them out. Do they do graphs and charts in reports? Why does hb1ac show up at the end of the graph at top of logbook but is blank on reports? Need to read the manual I think.

Pro came with it too, not sure for how long though.

Reactions: jpscloud

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance

Received my adapter today and will be sticking with mobile meter as the one handed use of the unit suits my needs and the Bluetooth is just a small improvement

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just sent the pre-order form - HSSS is a fellow T2, so hopefully they'll send me one as well!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just sent the pre-order form - HSSS is a fellow T2, so hopefully they'll send me one as well!
Somewhere buried in the small print was a requirement to get them on prescription. I can’t remember the form, did it ask? I’m very lucky my DN is pro low carb and pro testing if it helps despite the gps being anti. So each month I am waiting to see if they cancel the repeat she set up. In the meantime I’m very grateful.

ChrisJ_SLH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lack of bacon.
I got my wireless adapter delivered today. Absolutely no joy getting it paired to my Oneplus 6 despite trying everything. It will pair from the phone's bluetooth setting but then the MySugr app doesn't see it. Won't pair at all from within the MySugr app. I'll ping them an email tomorrow but the at the minute it is a (small) brick...

Last edited:

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
I got my wireless adapter delivered today. Absolutely no joy getting it paired to my Oneplus 6 despite trying everything. It will pair from the phone's bluetooth setting but then the MySugr app doesn't see it. Won't pair at all from within the MySugr app. I'll ping them an email tomorrow but the at the minute it is a (small) brick...

I think they may have a video on their website, search for the adapter in products and there’s some info there