AccuChek Mobile - Reading High

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Saw a report by MHRA that accuchek mobille may be r eading high and causing people to over-dose insulin.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
YEP -there was indeed an MHRA alert out on tuesday 10th june 2014.
There are "Enhanced instructions for proper testing with the Accu-Chek® Mobile system to avoid the potential of falsely elevated blood glucose readings".
Readings were shown to be inaccurate and could read higher than actually reality .

See the information here: http://bit.ly/accucheknotice
Better to be and stay safe ...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it seems a small number of people have reported elevated readings, thought to be caused by incorrect testing methods such as dirty hands, smearing blood, not applying the blood drop quickly enough etc rather than the meter itself being faulty.

Reactions: 4 people

ck18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently had an ACCU check mobile unit free from the manufacturer - having always used a glucomen Lx plus which the hospital gave me. When I first tried (as per 'new' instructions) and did a reading on my old reader at same time, there was a significant difference in the reading. Have just done same thing again and got 5.8 on accucheck and 4.5 on my old meter. Also seems to only do blood reading, not ketone's (maybe I've read this incorrectly?). Is this normal or where can I get test solution? Thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you register your Accu Chek Mobile on line you can have some control solution and spare batteries, plus a carrying case, for free.

ck18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank Bluetit1802 - will do that now. Only want to use meter as a back up so am going to have to buy 'the bits' myself.

Kaz70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really glad I found this, I've just purchased a code free blood glucose monitor (a couple of days ago) and borrowed my dads accu-chek monitor, tested same drop of blood on both monitors this morning at the same time and if memory serves me right (should have written it down) accu-clerk gave me 8.7 and code free 7.9

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For type 2's it isn't that important as all we are doing is looking for trends and seeing what certain foods do to us. As long as we stick to one meter and don't keep using 2 different ones, there isn't a real problem. However, with type 1's or type 2's on certain meds it is very important.

Reactions: 2 people

Beausrus

I found that my accuchek mobile read 13.5 just now and my contour next usb read 12.2 with the same sample of blood, although I am type 2 my numbers are given to nurse to increase my insulin.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like @ck18 and @Kaz70 those results are within the normal expected variation between two tests or two meters, so don't worry, it doesn't mean anything.

Reactions: 2 people