Acid Urine on LC

ghost_whistler

Sometimes I get a strong burning sensaiton when I pass urine. Is this ketones? Is it ketoacidosis (can't be the really svere kind otherwise I wouldn't be here typing about it)? Is there anything that can be done about this?

Low Carb seems great, except for how the body deals with waste!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have burning when you pee, go and see a doctor.

The only time I have ever experienced that it was due to cystitis and needed treatment.

Ketones do not cause burning pee.

S

serenity648

Sometimes I get a strong burning sensaiton when I pass urine. Is this ketones? Is it ketoacidosis (can't be the really svere kind otherwise I wouldn't be here typing about it)? Is there anything that can be done about this?

You need to see a doctor. Thinking about it, you have also mentioned hard stools. If you have a kidney or urinary tract infection, that could be you be causing both the burning wee and the hard stools. Drink a glass of water every hour or two, or sip some every few mins, to help while you wait to get medical advice.

I dont think this is to do with low carbing.

ghost_whistler

I do eat a lot of meat, so that's probably it.

Not sure how to change that unfortunately on LCHF. Tofu is apparenlty bad for you and I can't tolerate eggs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Not sure how to change that unfortunately on LCHF. Tofu is apparenlty bad for you and I can't tolerate eggs.

Why not just go to the GP and ask for tests to rule out urinary tract infection, cystitis etc. Burning is a common symptom of these. Meanwhile, extra water will help (as it will with your other hard stool problem)

Reactions: azure
S

serenity648

what makes you think it has anything to do with the quantity of meat you eat? and can you eat dairy? nuts? many vegatarians and vegans do Low carbing. I think there is a part of the forum dedicated to their lifestyle. why is Tofu bad? in what way?

not being argumentative, genuinely puzzed as I hadnt heard of meat causing burning wee, or tofu being bad for one.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance

Pardon me if I am wrong, but it sounds like mild dehydration. During dehydration the urine becomes concentrated with salts, urea and ammonia, which would explain the burning sensation. But, better safe than sorry, get a check up and put your mind at ease.

ghost_whistler

what makes you think it has anything to do with the quantity of meat you eat? and can you eat dairy? nuts? many vegatarians and vegans do Low carbing. I think there is a part of the forum dedicated to their lifestyle. why is Tofu bad? in what way?

not being argumentative, genuinely puzzed as I hadnt heard of meat causing burning wee, or tofu being bad for one.
I'm not saying it does, I'm saying that meat is generally a more acidic food and that a relatively higher (certainly in my case) protein load is thus harder on the kidneys.

ghost_whistler

Pardon me if I am wrong, but it sounds like mild dehydration. During dehydration the urine becomes concentrated with salts, urea and ammonia, which would explain the burning sensation. But, better safe than sorry, get a check up and put your mind at ease.
I drink a lot of water. I certainly don't feel dehydrated.

I wouldn't therefore have assumed I have hydration issues.

Certainly I could be wrong. What is the recommended LCHF water intake?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The amount varies from person to person. You can often tell from a urine colour chart. However, with your burning symptoms, extra water will help, but as most have advised, go to your GP and try to stop guessing what it may be.

urine-hydration-chart.jpg

Reactions: Alison Campbell