Actrapid vs Novorapid

GeoM

Hello!

For many-many years I've been on Lantus + Actrapid.

I have been thinking of switching to Novorapid because it acts faster so I could avoid some spikes after meals and also could be more safe with hypos after 4-5 hours as it has shorter action.

Sometimes I have to eat late dinner (another plus for novorapid-I can reduce waiting time) so always I'm afraid to go to sleep if it's not at least 5 hours after my actrapid dose.Also if I have any hyper actrapid takes too much time to correct..

Although I'm a bit afraid of having hypos with slow digested food when novorapid makes its peak..

Any experience and thought on the topic would be much appreciated!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!
I've been using novo rapid for as long as I can remember, probably since diagnosis! Personally, I find that it can take up to an hour to work before a meal (though you should take it 5-10 minutes before) so slow digesting foods are normally okay for me, but you could always split your dose if need be. I do also find that is can wear off pretty quickly, but if thats what you're looking for then its not necessarily a bad thing.
Thats just my experience, and I use a different basal so its hard to say if you would have the same experience. However I've stuck with it for over 10 years so it must be doing something right!

Reactions: GeoM