Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I have gastro-oesphageal reflux disease (GERD) and it is well controlled with medication, except for when I have an acute attack. I would like to know if anyone else gets these attacks, and if you have any tips on how to prevent them.

I've discussed it with my GP and there doesn't seem to be anything she can suggest, other than taking my meds, having the head of my bed raised up on blocks, and avoiding eating just before bed.

I have had 3 of these attacks in the last year or so. The first time, I thought I was having a heart attack, because the chest pain was severe, I was drenched in sweat, had difficulty breathing, and felt like I was about to vomit. Apparently these can be heart attack symptoms in women (I knew from reading about them earlier - I was in no state to be googling at the time). I was checked out by a doctor that night and reassured that it was likely to be reflux.

The second time I knew what to expect but it was still extremely painful - 10 out of 10, off the scale. The attacks last about 20 minutes, which is about the only thing I can cling onto while it's happening, to help get me through it. The third time the pain was even worse... unbearable, and then it stopped as quickly as it started.

I wish I knew what was triggering these attacks, as I have had chronic reflux for over a decade, but only started having acute attacks recently. If you have had this condition you will know how bad they are.

I'm on the waiting list for an ultrasound scan to check my gallbladder, and my LFT results are in the normal range. I've never had gallstones but I imagine the pain is also off the scale.

Can anyone relate?

Hello I can relate

I have had GORD for over 10 years and the acid reflux has ruined my teeth and I am having repair work on going since October

I take Lansoprazole, Ranitidine & Metoclopramide

My sugars are usually uncontrolled they think I am insulin resistant

GORD is horrible

I am not obese or overweight I am in my ideal weight range and BMI is fine yet I get attacks of acid reflux and sometimes vomit (this can come on out of the blue with little warning) it is a ghastly feeling

I totally empathise with any person who has GORD