Adapting Lantus To /From A Different Time Zone - Italy

A

asparagusp

I have been taking Lantus at 10 pm for several months now with some good and not so good fasting blood sugar readings.

A week ago I went to Europe but got confused with the one hour time difference so on the first day I was about 50 minutes too early with the injection, taking it at 10.15 pm European time. However I stuck with the same European time thereafter.

When I returned to the UK, yesterday, it wasn't until 9.30 pm, UK time, I realised I had to have an injection. I was torn whether to wait another half hour so I compromised and just had the injection there and then.

Now I don't know whether to stick with 9.30 pm or change back to 10 pm UK time tonight from now on .....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's some flexibility with the timing of taking lantus, I use to take mine around 6pm but some days could be an hour early and other days it would be an hour later, it was the same when I use to inject it before bed and first thing in the morning.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks Noblehead for reassuring me! I see you are Type 1 though! .....

That's correct I am, if you have any doubts about your lantus timing then speak with your DN/DSN. Best wishes.

A

asparagusp

Too late - I took it at 9.30 pm again this evening! I don't think my nurse is any good so I will speak with the pharmacist or my GP. or the NHS health line. Thanks again.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Moving lantus by an hour or two won't make any difference, if you would prefer to take it at 10, just take it at 10. Often the advice to those who are moving to dramatically different time zones is to move their lantus dose by 30-60 minutes each day. You have already done the first 30 minutes, so I would just take it at 10 tomorrow.

T1, on lantus for 5 years.

Smeks125

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take my Lantus between 3-5 everyday Depending on what shift I am on it could be 3 one week and five the next I have taken it later as well Just keep an eye on your sugar levels

A

asparagusp

Thanks Smeks125. Sugar levels tend to fluctuate anyway for no apparent reasons so impossible to tell! I am back to 10 pm give or take a few minutes.