Addicted to sugar

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try the herb Gymnema Sylvestra (I buy it off the internet - from Healthmonthly.co.uk). It is a herb traditionally used for diabetes - it directly affects you how you taste sugar also - you can't taste it like you used to, so therefore, how you can you crave something you can't really taste?
I am sure you can still crave it even if it tastes horrible you still remember how it used to taste

Vidgren

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I have only been diagnosed for 2 months and have been low sugar and low carbs since I found out. I am too scared to eat the things I used to devour everyday. Not sure how I will do this forever but I don't think I have a choice - do I? Been getting pins and needles and dizziness so not sure I am doing it right!? I was a carbaholic chocoholic pizzaholic

I have this diagnose for life so im lchf'ing for life. Taking it day by day.

It will get better for you hippo. I have been on lchf for 12 months before i got the diagnose (a few years ago trying to loose weight) and it gets better and easier as you go.

I still fell of the wagon after 12 months but not this time

Last edited by a moderator:

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sober sugaraddic here , I satisfy a sweet craving or comfort food craving by simply a diet soda and dont over do it- this keeps ME on track ,I worry also at some point loseing it and eat sugar but I always remember that I do not want to ever release that ''monster '' again because I now what happens and it simply just isnt worth it at all.

Reactions: Prem51

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My brother is an addict, and his substance of choice is alcohol. He's not a functional alcoholic, but a self-destructive alcoholic.
Eight months ago he relapsed, and it hasn't been pretty. He's now, thankfully, on the road to recovery and as a family we've had a lot of learning to do... because rehabilitation is not just about the person within, it's about the external environment and all the people in it.
During this I have been involved in Al-Anon family support groups, and as a Psychology student I've been doing research on addiction.
I knew I was addicted to sugar, but it wasn't until recently that I realised how similar the addiction process is - the substance may be different, but the attachment and reasons for dependency are the same. We reach to these substances for comfort, and they become our answer in times of stress/angst/happiness/sadness. We find reasons to use them, and before we know it we have a deep emotional attachment to the feelings that our substance of choice brings us.

From a personal point of view, I know that I have to give up chocolate (My name is Luceeloo, I'm a chocolate and sugar addict and I am 8 days clean), but the thought of not eating my beloved cadbury's again... the substance that can cheer up a bad day, or make me feel guilty for having no control... the thought of not having that is something that I am only starting to accept.
Yes , addiction is addiction , untill we can process and workout and understand why we need that feeling our addiction gives us to not feel what we dont want to feel- deal with - etc... we wont be able to really see the difference of finding other ways to cope with what upsets us etc... and understand all the dynamics of addiction , Its a hard journey but well worth the journey , I have been in addiction recovery many years for pills , alcohol , sugar , shopping and others - addiction is addiction and takes many forms. I realize some reading this this may not make sence or apply here believe me it does.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
i am not only addicted to sugar, choc and have even been known to eat a can condensed milk.

You just brought back a long-buried memory, @Ray1949 !
I used to love condensed milk spread on buttered white bread. It was a Scouse Conny Onny. Since then I found it in tubes in France, so I could have a quick squeeze and suck straight from the fridge.
But those days are now long gone. Obviously!

flemischt2d

I low carbed for quite a while, got to the stage where everything tasted too sweet and had lost quite a bit of weight. However, one chocolate bar and I found I was straight back into the addiction cycle which was similar to an alcoholic. It would take me a while to get back on the wagon and I beat myself up every time I fell off again.

I recognise this. I can eat a healthy low carb diet for a long time and keep my blood sugars and weight under control. If I eat one piece of cake or some candy I also fall off the wagon big time and get cravings for sugar and carbs and sometimes binge.

Have you read this?
I ate one cookie and gained 30 lbs” (by Dr. William Davis of Wheat Belly)

For me sugar and carb addiction is real.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good thread. I am not so much a plain sugar addict but I never saw a chip I said no to. Love all savory carbs. Roast potato, roast parsnip, roast anything really.
I have had to go cold turkey and the first week was really tough.
Its only been just over a month and I absolutely know that one sunday lunch and I will be craving carbs all the time.
It is very difficult being an addict, especially when the stuff that is your addiction of choice is everywhere, everyone uses it and without it you truly cannot survive.
Congratulations to everyone who attempts this journey. Its not easy.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Following a meal I often have sugar cravings .so I chew a small piece of sugar less gum,this helps me to get over it,
A small piece of Extra dark chocolate also works for me

Vidgren

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well now 4 months have passed since i last ate any bad carbs. Still feeling great and my bg is almost never above 5

Have lost 20kg.

I am never going to eat sugar again.

Im still scared i will fall of the waggon but not today!

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lost 4 stone since Jan 17 diagnosis lowered my Hb1ac from 101 to 45
Never big on liquorice allsorts and jelly baby's.
I used to eat 4 bags of crisps a day and 3 cans of Pepsi.
EVERY DAY I now crave bags of sweets e.g. Haribo Jelly babies etc.
I buy bags of them Just to pretend I can eat them,it just torments me BUT I can't drop it.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Vidgren

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
12 months free from sugar today!

Weight loss has come to a halt and its super hard to even loose a gram.

Bright side is my bg is never above 6 and my hba1c is steady at 35.

I dont miss sugar and all my sugarcravings are gone.

The only negative is the price on healthier eating. Not everything is expensive but if i want to eat something really tasty its almost always really expensive.