Widdy1961

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hey

I started LCHF about 18 months ago, when I started I was way overweight, Type 2 Diabetic with the worst B/S control ever (16-20 regularly) and ended up on Insulin..........going LCHF, I lost 5 Stone in weight got my B/S down to 5-7 and felt better.

I recently decided that I wanted to increase my Carbs (have a Potato now and then), I had been on 20-25g of Carbs per day.......only trouble, yes you guessed it, instead of a gradual increase, I went mad but, I also continued eating High fat too (very stupid), I have ended up gaining just over 1 Stone in weight (in 4 weeks), although I would imagine that a lot of that would be water but I have noticed that I am starting to get that 'spare tyre' back, my B/S is around 7-8

I now have decided to drop my Carbs back to around 25 but, lower my Fat and Calories too, also I bought a decent static Bike and have started using this as well, increasing my Carb intake every other day, hopefully until I reach 75-100g, as I think that would fit in with my lifestyle.

I certainly don't want the weight or the Insulin back...........any and all input/advice is greatly appreciated.

Widdy

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Widdy,

You know the answer already, you did great on the LCHF , both in BG and weight control. It's a lifestyle change for life i reckon. A few weeks you'll be back on track. What was your last hba1c result ?

Widdy1961

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi bookmite

My last hba1c was 6.1

I am not looking to start bingeing on Carbs again, more to make an increase to a more social, for me, level........the level of Carbs I consume means a very restrictive diet, eating out is no pleasure...obviously if things start going downhill, I will have to revert back but, I suppose the input I am really after is, would eating medium Carb coupled with Low Calorie and Low Fat, do damage to my health in other ways.

I have not exercised whilst losing the weight and dropping the B/S, mainly due to a couple of shoulder ops I needed, so I assumed that hitting the bike would help burn off the 'belly' fat and use up some of the Carbs I will be adding.....but will I be too calorie deficient?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What sort of things were you eating on your 20-25g carbs day? You can still eat a pretty varied diet if you're careful in your choice of foods, and if you go up to 30ish you have a bit more leeway and include extras like a little fruit in the way of berries without any real problems.

I've found I can eat fairly normally - I just avoid all the obvious starchy and sugary foods, and eat extra fats - e.g. cheese, nuts, and cream instead.

High fat eaten sensibly isn't necessariy a bad thing as you would be burning it instead of carbs for your energy.

Robbity

Widdy1961

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Robbity

Mainly Chicken, Fish and Veg............I'm not very varied......snacked on the Cheese, Nuts and Peperami (although it does not do much for my Acid reflux)

I am just wanting to up the Carbs and lower the Fat, I was never a fan of fatty stuff (except Peperami)......I don't want to go Carb mad but a few extra would mean I could throw in some fruit, maybe a parsnip or 2....some different variety.

When I take the wife out to eat, it's almost always a Steak and Salad or Mixed Grill and Salad.......everything else is either coated, marinated or rolled in all sorts of high carb, high sugar ****.........Steak and Mixed Grills are getting boring for me now, so we tend not to bother going out much.