Adenomyosis & hysterectomy

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I had a hysterectomy 8 weeks ago. They discovered I had an enslaved womb caused by Adenomyosis. This was the cause of painful heavy periods for the past 17 + year.

For the past 2 weeks I have been going hypo a lot. Even with cutting my insulin. I know that the other hormones in the body can affect insulin needs. Is this my body just adjusting as it had increased a bit in the last year before.

Had anyone else had this?

Btw I'm not on hrt.

Thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I had a hysterectomy 8 weeks ago. They discovered I had an enslaved womb caused by Adenomyosis. This was the cause of painful heavy periods for the past 17 + year.

For the past 2 weeks I have been going hypo a lot. Even with cutting my insulin. I know that the other hormones in the body can affect insulin needs. Is this my body just adjusting as it had increased a bit in the last year before.

Btw I'm not on hrt.

Thanks

Ermintrude, I'm not T1 nor am I on insulin, so I don't have any wisdom to offer you there, but just wanted to comment that after my own hysterectomy (I had a fibroid the size of a melon), I almost immediately - days after the op, began to feel better than I had in a long time.

My medical team, family and friends were astonished how well I healed - I was out walking every day as soon as I got home from hospital at +2 days, on zero painkillers. Even though I had my op by full abdominal incision, I was cleared for swimming and driving at 4 weeks. I kept my ovaries, so any discussion on HRT isn't in my experience.

Maybe your body is just healing from a state of (physical) stress it has been enduring for some years.

Wishing you the best, and I'm sure someone will be along shortly with better info for you.

Reactions: Ermintrude75

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @DCUKMod. I don't know anyone who's had a hysterectomy let alone a T1. I had a laprascopic but I was out the following day and after a few days I was not taking painkillers for it. Even knowing someone else bounced back so quickly helps.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @DCUKMod. I don't know anyone who's had a hysterectomy let alone a T1. I had a laprascopic but I was out the following day and after a few days I was not taking painkillers for it. Even knowing someone else bounced back so quickly helps.

I deliberately had my op on Day 1 of Wimbledon, so that I had something to watch if I had to sit around a lot. Needless to say, I watched less than anticipated.

I guess due to the bulk of my fibroid, I was also slimmer, with a flatter tummy immediately after surgery. So much for the trackies I thought I'd be in for several days. You can't even see my scar these days.

Hopefully, you'll be similar. I just hope someone can offer you something on the insulin front.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Btw I'm not on hrt.

Thanks
Hi @Ermintrude75, can't help on the hysterectomy front but the one thing that occurs to me is that body weight and insulin requirements are linked. I don't know if you've lost weight as a result of your treatment but that could be a cause I guess. Apart from that, my only offer is, as @DCUKMod suggests, a reduced insulin requirement resulting from reduced stress.

Hope you continue to recover well.

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Ermintrude75, can't help on the hysterectomy front but the one thing that occurs to me is that body weight and insulin requirements are linked. I don't know if you've lost weight as a result of your treatment but that could be a cause I guess. Apart from that, my only offer is, as @DCUKMod suggests, a reduced insulin requirement resulting from reduced stress.

Thanks. Not lost enough weight for it to drop my needs that much.

I'm putting it down to the change in hormone levels and the change of stress being put on the body.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

A "normal" uterus only weighs about 100gr. It's about the size of a decent sized lemon. Obviously natural variations can cause huge variations.

It's miraculous that it can incubate a human in there.

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago for the same reason, however I did keep my ovaries. I haven’t noticed a reduction in my insulin requirements however I do remember when I got fitted for my pump that the DSN did say that if I was in pain my insulin needs might go up during a period for example so that kind of makes sense that your requirements might be less if your no longer having that extra pain from periods.

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A "normal" uterus only weighs about 100gr. It's about the size of a decent sized lemon. Obviously natural variations can cause huge variations.

It's miraculous that it can incubate a human in there.

They told me after both pregnancies that my uterus was taking ages to go back to its normal size. I think it was at its normal size just it was an enlarged normal size

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago for the same reason, however I did keep my ovaries. I haven’t noticed a reduction in my insulin requirements however I do remember when I got fitted for my pump that the DSN did say that if I was in pain my insulin needs might go up during a period for example so that kind of makes sense that your requirements might be less if your no longer having that extra pain from periods.

I've had issues ever since I started my periods. Always heavy always painful. So wouldn't have noticed pain changes as was having hormonal changes. You don't realise they are painful because that is normal for you.

I've still got my ovaries as they were ok and I was trying to avoid hrt for as long as possible

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had issues ever since I started my periods. Always heavy always painful. So wouldn't have noticed pain changes as was having hormonal changes. You don't realise they are painful because that is normal for you.

I've still got my ovaries as they were ok and I was trying to avoid hrt for as long as possible

I have never used HRT, and based on my description of my menopause (I never noticed a thing), I recently had blood tests to ascertain my pre/peri/post menopausal status. It seems it passed through without me noticing.

I hope yours is as easy as mine was.