ADHD and Diabetes

Tonk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So anyone else in that wonderful position of having Type 1 and ADHD? Like "Hey, have this one condition with means you need to play close attention to things and be patient and monitor what's going on. But, also have this other one that means that'l' be a struggle for you!" :p

Wondering if anyone else is in the same boat? Also what medication people are on for ADHD and if they've found it affect's their sugars in anyway as, I imagine, constantly having stimulants in my system would probably cause levels to run slightly higher?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Mel dCP do you know anything about this?
Afraid not, sorry! I’ve had ADD mentioned before, but issues with concentration vanished shortly after binning carbs and attaining non diabetic bg levels. I’m sure someone will be along who can help x

Reactions: Tonk

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I Google "adhd keto" I get a lot of hits, but have never looked at the evidence.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Afraid not, sorry! I’ve had ADD mentioned before, but issues with concentration vanished shortly after binning carbs and attaining non diabetic bg levels. I’m sure someone will be along who can help x

Wow - I knew folks reported thinking more clearly, but that's something else. I have a relative with ADD, so I'll mention this.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is well know that high suger drinks can make many children behave as if they have ADHD. Hence it is reasonable to assume that for at least some people food that quickly break down into glocose will also increase ADHD symptoms.

Making the next step to a full keto diet seems worth a try due to many reports of good results, but I don't know of any research on it, including seeing if keto has more benefits then moderate low carb.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Wow - I knew folks reported thinking more clearly, but that's something else. I have a relative with ADD, so I'll mention this.
It’s been incredible. The ASD issues I have with executive function and sensory overwhelms have pretty much gone too.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s been incredible. The ASD issues I have with executive function and sensory overwhelms have pretty much gone too.

The word miracle can be very over used sometimes, but it really has been quite miraculous for you.

Long may it continue.

Tonk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I may have to look into a keto diet then. I'm training for some sporting stuff at the moment which is my focus with nutrition but if I find myself looking more into this I'll have to see how I would get on with a keto diet and blod/vlog my journey with it to see the change

ashleysmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So anyone else in that wonderful position of having Type 1 and ADHD? Like "Hey, have this one condition with means you need to play close attention to things and be patient and monitor what's going on. But, also have this other one that means that'l' be a struggle for you!" :p

Wondering if anyone else is in the same boat? Also what medication people are on for ADHD and if they've found it affect's their sugars in anyway as, I imagine, constantly having stimulants in my system would probably cause levels to run slightly higher?
I know it’s incredibly difficult to manage the both as my son had both, he struggled with his diabetes and it made him sensitive to adhd meds, we’d tried them all, in the end he was put on aripiprizole, this helped, my son was diagnosed type 1 just before he turned 13, get as much support as you can, make people listen to you if you need help! Sadly my son passed away 6 years ago in June, he was 19, he died from diabetic ketoacidosis, ask for extra help if you need it, never forget your long acting insulin. Very very good luck to you.
Kindest regards
Karen

Tonk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it’s incredibly difficult to manage the both as my son had both, he struggled with his diabetes and it made him sensitive to adhd meds, we’d tried them all, in the end he was put on aripiprizole, this helped, my son was diagnosed type 1 just before he turned 13, get as much support as you can, make people listen to you if you need help! Sadly my son passed away 6 years ago in June, he was 19, he died from diabetic ketoacidosis, ask for extra help if you need it, never forget your long acting insulin. Very very good luck to you.
Kindest regards
Karen

Karen,

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. But grateful that you took the time to post about your story. Thank you for the advice. I am pushing myself every day not to let Diabetes be one of the things that my ADHD affects.

Thank you very much for sharing and I've taken your words to heart.

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with borderline ADHD when I was 4 years old with a referral for when I turned 6, but then I was hospitalised with diabetes, so it never got reassessed. I have asked for another referral now, but the waiting list is 3 years, by that time I will be 31. Can anyone give me any advice, as my mental health and diabetes have always been out of whack, often doctors being left quite disappointed in me. The last time the hospital gave me an in person appt. It was 3 years ago, and since then I have had 2 phone call appointments of 15 mins long. I have never had any treatment or support for ADHD. How do you guys cope? Does anyone have any suggestions as I know doctors are too busy at the moment. Any advice is really appreciated