adjusting basal after period of illness

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I'm still struggling to get my diabetes control right after a long period of constant illness with migraines and infections. I was treated for the last infection a couple of weeks back but then had a real bad flare up of a couple of my conditions which kept my sugar levels, blood pressure, and heart rate elevated. I'm only just recovering from the flare ups. I'm now dealing with really bad exhaustion and I'm crashing a lot when home. It's just the nature with what I'm dealing with all round.

But in the last 2 weeks I seems to be going through a period of night time hypos. I'm still struggling right now with hypo hangover feeling from one I obviously missed last night. I woke up on 10.1 feeling awful again and furious with that number as it is 4.5 higher than my usual. I'm too **** exhausted to do the wake ups during the night to test. I know I need to do that. I've dropped my basal and only 1 unit away from my usual basal dosage. I had increased the basal by 2 units when sick to try and combat the high sugar levels. The downside of not waking up (which is unusual for me) is that I'm waking up with more pain as well.

I'm going to drop the basal back tonight to my usual dose and see what happens. It's so frustrating when sickness totally stuffs up your diabetes management. It seems to be taking me longer to recover and get the numbers stable again. Sometimes I wish I could get my hands on a CGM or something to help me figure this out.

Anyhow interested if any others here have same frustrations with recovery.