Adrenaline Rush After High Carb Meal?

Emmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Strange thing happened to me for the second time yesterday (type 2 for 8 years, started Metformin 2 weeks ago). I am still trying to eat low carb, with a little carbs in occasional meals - yesterday I had homemade scotch broth which had loads of pearl barley in it. My blood sugars are still in the 7's or 8s generally before meals so I know I wasn't low before dinner. No sooner had I eaten then I had a massive rush of adrenaline through my body, lasted a few (long!) seconds, I managed to stay calm (I have anxiety and this could have triggered a panic attack for me but I managed to control it) - checked my bs and was 8.5. My question is has anyone else ever experienced such a thing? Could it have been too many carbs after lower carbing for months? I could almost understand it if I'd just eaten a bag of sweets!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a massive rush of adrenaline through my body, lasted a few (long!) seconds,

Improve my education. What are the symptoms of a rush of adrenaline? I have no idea if I have ever had one so I need to recognise it when it happens.

nemiabonny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I love seeing the words high carb meal. That's what I have been having for more than 25 long years. Why do I keep on having high car meals? I need easily digested foods. I am as lazy as all the cells in my body. Yes, I have always been getting high fasting and post-meal blood sugar levels but they have not harmed me yet. I have never had hypo problems, have no diabetes complications, and have been enjoying life like I have no diabetes. My diagnosis was based on a blood sugar reading of 468 mg/dl in July 1991. No medication since my diagnosis. I run the stairs a total of 1 hour per day in 4 sessions.

Bonny Damocles
Male, 80 years old, 137 lbs., 5'7"
Most past A1Cs: 5.2% - 6.3%
No pharma drugs for any health problems
I think that I am first T2D to reach 25 years unmedicated and has no diabetes complcations

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Strange thing happened to me for the second time yesterday (type 2 for 8 years, started Metformin 2 weeks ago). I am still trying to eat low carb, with a little carbs in occasional meals - yesterday I had homemade scotch broth which had loads of pearl barley in it. My blood sugars are still in the 7's or 8s generally before meals so I know I wasn't low before dinner. No sooner had I eaten then I had a massive rush of adrenaline through my body, lasted a few (long!) seconds, I managed to stay calm (I have anxiety and this could have triggered a panic attack for me but I managed to control it) - checked my bs and was 8.5. My question is has anyone else ever experienced such a thing? Could it have been too many carbs after lower carbing for months? I could almost understand it if I'd just eaten a bag of sweets!
I can tell when my blood glucose is high as I can feel my blood coursing through my veins - at least that is the only way I can describe it. Perhaps you had a similar feeling. Well done on nipping your anxiety in the bud when it happened :)

Reactions: 2 people