Adrenaline surges

KarenTh

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope all on this forum are keeping well and safe. I have a question about adrenaline. I am producing a lot at the moment! I am working very hard on the frontline and such is the nature of what is happening that I sense I my body is pumping round a lot of adrenaline. I then crash very badly but have no idea if my blood sugars are affected? The last crash was so bad I couldn’t even begin to think of taking a blood sugar test.

Before being diagnosed with RH I had no real problems operating at full throttle for long periods of time.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Thank you!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope all on this forum are keeping well and safe. I have a question about adrenaline. I am producing a lot at the moment! I am working very hard on the frontline and such is the nature of what is happening that I sense I my body is pumping round a lot of adrenaline. I then crash very badly but have no idea if my blood sugars are affected? The last crash was so bad I couldn’t even begin to think of taking a blood sugar test.

Before being diagnosed with RH I had no real problems operating at full throttle for long periods of time.

Thank you!

Hi Karen - I don't have RH, but my colleague @Brunneria does, so I've tagged her. Hopefully she will be able to help a bit.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you!

Firstly, I assume you mean frontline NHS? If so, thank you.

Secondly, please be careful. Years of having RH at various levels of blood glucose control has taught me that my immunity to colds and flu dips significantly when I hypo. Obviously, I am not assuming the same will happen to you, but I would hate for you to take unnecessary risks.

as for Adrenalin, my experience is that prolonged stress makes my blood glucose very unstable, and the more stressed and tired I get, the worse it becomes. In terms of the hypos, they usually precede the stress hormone surge which is the body trying to use the cortisol and adrenalin to raise blood glucose levels.

Have you heard of adrenal fatigue? It is a real thing, and happens when the stress goes on too long. Hopefully you can avoid that.

Please look after yourself. Get as much sleep as possible. Eat what you need to avoid the hypos. And minimise the stress, if you can.

KarenTh

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you that’s helpful as always. And no not NHS. They are truly amazing. Frontline food delivery service from my community owned village shop. Complete business remodelled in 48 hours so that vulnerable villagers etc don’t have to go to supermarkets.