Advanced Care Directives

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
In South Oz the community is being asked to comment on an Act which was passed 5 years ago about these directives.
I thought some discussion might be worthwhile.
Advanced care whatsies you ask?
You may know of them as 'living wills', or similar and where someone may be appointed with power of attorney in certain cicumstancess , such as for when you may not be able to handle your own personal health or financial matters.
I am referring to the ones about health.
So here i can fill out a form, detailing what type of healthcare, what intensity of healthcare i may wish to have or not have if I were rendered too unwell to decide for myself. And if so who is going to make decisions about my health for me.
For me that could include if i suffered a severe hypo, had a bad car accident or was knocked out by a stray kite or cricket ball and 101 other causes.
And just in case you think this is just for old folk, think again - accidents can affect anyone at any age. No one is invincible or can be confident they will be compos mentis at a crucial moment.
In an incapacitated state with a hopefully temporary inability to decide for myself what would i wish regarding healthcare?
That is personal, as it should be, but to ease the seriousness of this post i have some ideas:
No hi carb prescribing dietitian within cooee ( cooee is Aussie for not within hearing distance if i was to shout out loud)
Only low carb high fat diet prescribing involved in what i eat
Low carb doubting physicians to be dismissed from my care immediately ( and sent to the hospital cafeteria to join those like-fooded dietitians))
Any tube feeding formula required is to be low carb - none exist that i know of so time to perfect that before i might need it
No mention of the words - recalcitrant, stubborn, wilfull, keto-junkie, experimentalist, insulin-saver - in my presence
Insulin pump as primary delivery device and where possible my physiotherapy exercise will be used to re-charge it
As well as the press button alarm, I need a water pistol for longer distance notification strategies
A therapy dog provided to assist nurses with detecting any hypos i may suffer, and bets placed on how much quicker the dog is at detection over the staff.
A dose of real sunshine daily, (preferably at the beach), no being stuck in a hermetically sealed off hospital ward
The provision of time to smell the roses or whatever other plants are growing in the grounds and an occasional punt at the race track, although the olfactory senses will be challenged
When deemed appropriate i wish to start an art course. Persons to stir and mix paints will be required from the pharmacy staff.

I think i have over-filled the official form and will need to add more pages as inspiration demands such.
This is supposed to make things easier for my substitute decision-makers and staff.
Any volunteers?

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I have a Living Will that is lodged with my local hospital (at the time I did it, it was a requirement that Living Wills in the UK had to be lodged with the hospital bursar.I don't know if it still is a requirement).

Mine states that if I have lost my marbles, then please do not treat and do not resuscitate, but equally don't put me on the Liverpool Pathway and starve/thirst me to death. Let my disease take it's course, ease my discomfort but that's all.

If I have still got my sensible head on, then please treat my illness and resuscitate me! My thinking is that once I became conscious I can be loud enough to state my diabetic needs! And my husband would need to bring food in because a hospital's idea of vegan & diabetic diet would, I think, be laughable.

Hopefully, the document having been lodged, they will take note. Certainly my husband and son are aware of my Living Will and of its terms and I have urged them not to be shy about stating its terms, and the fact that it exists, should it ever become necessary.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would add to that there need to be a litter of kittens or puppies placed in my bed, as I strongly believe it speeds up healing and makes dying more pleasant.
And if it doesn't help, at least it's more fun to visitors!

Reactions: HSSS and WuTwo