Adverage Carbs A Day?

jopar

It would be interesting to see what carbs people use per day and some indication whenther they feel if this is low, medium or high.....

As so far it's really unclear in many ways what it meant by a low carb diet!

I adverage out to around 60-100g of carbs per day....

If I take the advice that I was given 20 years ago when I first went on insulin, it was just about 1/2 of what I was reccomended to have of 210g.....

I personally take a Bernstien type diet to be ULTRA low carb diet?

ChocFish

Low carb (ketogenic) 0-50g
Typical low carb 50-90g
Liberal low carb 90-130g
Moderate carbs 130-170g
High carb 170g plus a day

I am on average if up to 150g, but used to be no higher than 50 for 2 years, gradually increased

All the best

Karen

caitycakes

When first diagnosed three months ago I would have said I was High Carb but according to chocfish's info I was "moderate". I am now "Typical low Carb" which is where I thought I would be.

caitycakes x

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
With most of my food its easy to count carbs, but for lunch I eat at the work canteen.
I avoid the obvious stuff, pasta rice bread and tatties, but don't have a clue how many carbs I'm eating.
Veggie stroganof yesterday, mushies, onions, creamy sauce but no idea what thickening was use or how much.
Today will be curry, its Wednesday, curry day.
So my lunch will be meat, veg and a thickened sauce.

Think I'm in the 50 to 90 category

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I aim for NO obvious carbs, but don't count the green veggies.
I don't eat bread, potatoes,rice, pasta etc.
Since my weight loss has stalled, I'm thinking of going to Atkins.
Had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast. Probably will have a bit of fish for lunch.
Still got this cold and not needing food. Just hot drinks. Bedtime last night BG was 4.5, despite forgetting to take Metformin during the day. Woke up at 5.6 though :(

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
According to my Ultrasmart meter, over the past 30 days my daily carb intake on average is 168g CHO.

YUM! :)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
An average for me would be 120-140g per day. This gives me BS control that is just within the normal non-diabetic range. I always thought of this as being a low-ish carb diet, at least by comparison with the UK government/DUK guidelines of 230g per day. But by comparison with the new guidelines set by the US authorities, my intake is normal carb, not low at all.

The new US guidelines are 170g (6ozs) for non-diabetics and 135g for diabetics.

Who knows we might just catch up with the States before this decade is out!

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
i worked out on a packet the other day that the GDA for carbs for an adult was 265! Even I struggle to eat that much!

Trinkwasser

Stuboy said:
i worked out on a packet the other day that the GDA for carbs for an adult was 265! Even I struggle to eat that much!
Yes aren't those packets scary?

A lot of them don't have any mention of carbs of course, just sugars (and the RDA for that can be ridiculous)

When they do I've seen numbers in the 250 - 300g region

I do frighteningly well on around 60 - 100g with occasional outliers in both directions.

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
From literally 170g carbs daily I can now call myself a liberal low carber and its working for me. Another 5 kilos lost so am well chuffed and have now started buying new clothes that dont fall down :oops: or sag in all the wrong places :shock: A total now of nearly 3 stone. Dont feel as if I am missing anything as my slice of chocolate and the seed, nut and fruit mix does it for me. My skin and hair are looking better than they have done in a long time. My monthly :oops: doesnt give me any bother whatsoever and believe me It has been a total crapshoot in that department. I find spending a little more time on me starting with the feet then I now feel more in control of myself than ever before

caitycakes

Yes, isn't it fab how good it makes you feel. I haven't had this much energy in years. Congratulations on the weight loss. I bet you feel just great. Control over bg levels and weight loss. What more could a gal ask for eh?

Treat yourself to a whole new wardrobe. You deserve it!

caitycakes x

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
I probably fall within the "typical low carb" camp although I haven't really sat down and added it all up (not using insulin at this time so not sure really if I can be bothered!) - I don't have bread, rice or pasta at all and may occasionally succumb to a baked potato skin or two small roasties - I also avoid the really starchy veg - that said I do not cut carrots or butternut squash which contain about 8grms per 100grms cho ... I eat a lot of salad and vegetables, vegetarian proteins such as quorn or soya/wheat proteins - some of which are not particularly very low in carbs - it's working for me though

*evil laughter - **** Eddie you found out about my plans to buy a Macadamia grove in Hawaii??*

ChocFish

This just proves that there is room for flexibility and people can and do adjust carb intake according to their needs and all of it is acceptable - so we can be a happy forum after all, there is room for everyone in here.

The benefits of low/mid carbing are finally beginning to filter through to our medics, and things are slowly changing, I am full of optimism.

If any of us low carbers have been a bit too enthusiastic with our posts then it was/is that we really do care an awful lot about our fellow diabetics and want to get the message out to everyone that if you are struggling with your bg limiting carbs really does bring good results.

Love to all

Karen x

Trinkwasser

ChocFish said:
The benefits of low/mid carbing are finally beginning to filter through to our medics, and things are slowly changing, I am full of optimism.

If any of us low carbers have been a bit too enthusiastic with our posts then it was/is that we really do care an awful lot about our fellow diabetics and want to get the message out to everyone that if you are struggling with your bg limiting carbs really does bring good results.

Love to all

Karen x

Average A1c is barely out of double figures.

Average A1c on most diabetes forums and newsgroups is around 6 (including Type 1s)

What does this tell you? Listen to the REAL experts not the people with qualifications <G>

The interesting thing is that there are increasing numbers of medics and yes even dieticians coming on board, it's hard to argue with success (unless you are employed by DUK)

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hello jopar,

I'm type 1 and currently on around 180g per day. My eventual target is to average 150g per day.

Regards,
timo.

Edited Sugarless Sue...unnecessary input!

Trinkwasser

fasteddie said:
Hi Trinkwasser

Hi mate, I thought I made a lot of postings but you are going for triple gold, I wish I had your typing speeds and stamina.

In awe, Eddie

[1] ADD (though like a lot of things it has improved with BG control)

Edited Sugarless Sue..quoted remarks and context.