Advice about prosthetics

notreve

Hi,
My husband is waiting to have a lower leg amputation following an accident and a failed attempt at repairing his ankle. He has been pretty immobile for over a year now and the hope is that a prosthetic limb will allow him some normality.
He has been type 1 for 35 years and is otherwise reasonably fit and healthy.
We have concerns around prosthetics and the potential for them to rub and cause open sores which could be an ongoing infection risk.
It would help him right now to speak to (or get advice from) other people who are type 1 and who have a prosthetic limb to find out what their experience has been.
Thank you in advance

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @notreve ,

Welcome to the forum.

I'll tag in @Ushthetaff , who may well (hopefully.) be able to help in relevance to his own experience.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi,
My husband is waiting to have a lower leg amputation following an accident and a failed attempt at repairing his ankle. He has been pretty immobile for over a year now and the hope is that a prosthetic limb will allow him some normality.
He has been type 1 for 35 years and is otherwise reasonably fit and healthy.
We have concerns around prosthetics and the potential for them to rub and cause open sores which could be an ongoing infection risk.
It would help him right now to speak to (or get advice from) other people who are type 1 and who have a prosthetic limb to find out what their experience has been.
Thank you in advance

Hi 7 years for me now with a lower limb prosthetic, to be honest I probably walk better now than I did before I had my amputation , stump management is quite crucial with regard blisters etc , prosthetics these days are excellent with various types available and as long as you keep your stump clean and supple you should be fine . If your prosthetic rubs don’t wear it and speak to prosthetist immediately and the6 will sort things out pretty quick . I tend to have a bath every day and I put some baby oil in it this helps keeping my stump in good condition , it is recommended to use moisturiser too stop skin on stump drying out and cracking , one thing I will say about having a prosthetic is mental attitude , initially it will be strange but keep positive and things get easier quite quick, I found with the hospital I am with is they will help you. As much as you need , so the more you want to do the more they will help you I very rarely find it a case of “ you are where you are “
Make sure you make a PIP application if he doesn’t already receive it . Rehab does take time and initially it takes a lot of Postive Mental Attitude but believe me when I say it does get easier and it so worth it ,
Feel free to Pm me with any questions , or even if you just want a chat

KidChameleon

I realise this isn´t an exact answer to the OP´s question, but interestingly enough. I was just recently watching that series hosted by ´Iron Man´about AI (I remember there was a part about diabetic eye testing - I might post it on this site when I find the ´other news´forum).
Anyway, in another of the programmes there was something about robotic limbs, really high-tech stuff - allowing people to have almost full motor control of fingers and ankle movement thus enabling them to run and climb again etc.
Though this was in The States, and as normal they never ever mention the price involved in these things. I suspect they are not available on state health care. Still, pretty interesting stuff.
It made me wonder if I would consider having a limb amputated at the knee if I had a problem with ,my ankle or something (diabetes or non diabetes related) that meant I couldn´t exercise. . .and having a bionic limb instead.
I think yes would be the answer.

Maybe one day in the future this is how it will?