Advice COVID 19

bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
Hi could you please give me some advice? I have a 14 year old daughter who has asked if her friend can sleep over tonight. I feel that I shouldn’t be putting myself at risk but also feel like I’m being mean.
What would you do?
Thanks
Becky

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We each make our own parenting decisions and those concerning the risks we feel acceptable. Depends on so many factors. Age, health, diabetes control, family members exposed, risk behaviour of the guest, geographic prevalence of the virus etc etc etc. It is currently still against government advice for people to stay over in England (til tomorrow and then social distancing still needs to be maintained).

My teens haven’t liked all my decisions. When will they ever like all my decisions covid or not? I’ve felt mean making some of them when putting myself in their shoes. Some I’ve made for their benefit, some to meet legal requirements, some to protect myself. I’ve explained my reasoning, expressed I am sad it makes them sad and moved on. They’d be a whole lot more miserable if they felt responsible for me catching it having tried to force me to make decisions against my conscience.

Reactions: DCB 2

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, that makes me feel better and not such a bad mum.
Blimey if I never felt mean and useless as a mum I’d suspect I was doing a truely lousy job. It’s part of the job description
:joyful:;)

Suz2

In the end, you're the mom and it's your decision.

Some things to consider:
  • Has your daughters friend been in a situation where she and her family are self-quarantining?
  • Are you aware of any sickness in her family-i.e. call her parents
  • How do her parents feel about this? - i.e. call her parents
My daughter's family has been quarantining since the beginning of all this. Her husband only recently went back to work. My husband and I have been quarantining since before the beginning of this. I had heart surgery. We're comfortable getting together because of this.

But in the end, if you're not comfortable with having an "outsider' spend the night, then don't.

Reactions: Flora123

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi could you please give me some advice? I have a 14 year old daughter who has asked if her friend can sleep over tonight. I feel that I shouldn’t be putting myself at risk but also feel like I’m being mean.
What would you do?
Thanks
Becky

To be honest I would be a bit annoyed at the Parents of the other child suggesting it right at this moment. What are their views?, (I'm guessing they're ok with that). Personally I would say no given that YOU are more vulnerable (possibly) if you need to give a reason. We are all different though but I am still restricting non essential social activities. x

Reactions: HSSS

bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
Thanks for all your responses, I’m definitely not having someone sleeping my house it’s not worth the risk

Reactions: Flora123

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all your responses, I’m definitely not having someone sleeping my house it’s not worth the risk

Totally with you in that and not sure it is allowed at the moment. Aren’t we only allowed a family bubble? You have no idea who she has been close to or who her family has been close to. If they are up for a sleepover, what else have they been up to?

You are the parent and you need to look out fir your family. Your daughter will get over it.