advice: Dexcom 6 vs Libre 1+Miaomiao?

ministry

Hello,
I have some days to decide to switch to the new Dexcom 6 or to stay on Libre 1.
First of all, I'm a type 1 diabetic for more than 30 years and in the last few months I've suffered a couple of hypo nightly episodes, so my diabetologist suggested to test the Dexcom 6 sensor.
I'm happy since this actually works and is accurate, but on the other hand the reader itself (since I don't have a compatible smartphone and I don't want to buy a new one) is very minimal and unpractical: e.g. when the blood sugar level gets out of boundaries, the alarm will repeat over until it stabilizes - with a delay of 15/20 minutes - and this is annoying.
So surfing the web I found out the MiaoMiao reader for Libre, that seems to work with almost any recent Andorid phone; I couldn't test it yet but I read on several reviews that when used with apps like xDrip it's quite accurate and configurable.

So, in terms of accuracy and reilability, do you think there is a best choice? Dexcom 6 or Libre+Miaomiao? It's not a matter of price

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used Miaomiao for a year or so and found it a good alternative although you will need to use it with an unofficial app such as xDrip.
My Miaomiao lasted just over a year which was good enough value for money but there is no customer service so if you find you have a dodgy one, it is near impossible to get your money back.
That brings me to another suggestion: xDrip wrks with Dexcom. So, if you are happy to use an unofficial app, you could take advantage of the Dexcom offer (typically it is seen as more accurate than Libre) and use xDrip.

This all assumes you have an Android phone.
There are equivalents with iPhones but, as an Android user myself, I do not know about them.

ministry

That brings me to another suggestion: xDrip wrks with Dexcom. So, if you are happy to use an unofficial app, you could take advantage of the Dexcom offer (typically it is seen as more accurate than Libre) and use xDrip.

Hello!
I naively was thinking about some hardware compatibility restriction, so I didn't even think to test other application.
Now, I installed xDrip (on a Redmi Note 7, so an Andorid system) and it seems to work quite good, and that's enough for me! This makes the difference so eventually I think I'll go with Dexcom, thar is more accurate than the Libre.
Thank you very much: you really helped me.

Reactions: In Response

ministry

I used Miaomiao for a year or so and found it a good alternative although you will need to use it with an unofficial app such as xDrip.

Sorry for bothering you again on this topic.
Is miaomiaoreader.com the only seller? I've placed an order in the past days but the delivery date has been postponed to the 18th april, then again to the 30th april due to coronavirus outbreak in Shangai.
I was looking for different suppliers but I cannot find any alternative

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is miaomiaoreader.com the only seller? I've placed an order in the past days but the delivery date has been postponed to the 18th april, then again to the 30th april due to coronavirus outbreak in Shangai.
There is someone on Facebook's Miaomiao page that supplies it from the UK, his name is something like Andrew Borrett but can’t remember exactly. It costs a bit more but delivery will be quicker, I had to wait weeks for mine 3 years ago from China due to New Year celebrations, it’s a great product though once you've mastered the software.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It was a few years since I purchased the Miaomiao and have been using Libre 2, which does not need Miaomiao , for over a year.
However, you could try Miaomiao.eu. I have read the customer service is better than buying direct from China.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
There is someone on Facebook's Miaomiao page that supplies it from the UK, his name is something like Andrew Borrett but can’t remember exactly. It costs a bit more but delivery will be quicker, I had to wait weeks for mine 3 years ago from China due to New Year celebrations, it’s a great product though once you've mastered the software.
here is the website for the UK supplier of MiaoMiao

MiaoMiao 1 - Smart Reader for Abbott Freestyle Libre. - (mypump.co.uk)

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It was a few years since I purchased the Miaomiao and have been using Libre 2, which does not need Miaomiao , for over a year.
However, you could try Miaomiao.eu. I have read the customer service is better than buying direct from China.
How did you find setting up the Libre 2 with Xdrip and do you disable the Libre 2 alarms and just use Xdrip alarms?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How did you find setting up the Libre 2 with Xdrip and do you disable the Libre 2 alarms and just use Xdrip alarms?
I only use xDrip. I had no trouble setting it up but I do work in IT so I am technically minded. Once I had started the sensor, I Force Closed the LibreLink app. This is necessary because the way the OOP2 method works with xDrip is to hijack the Bluetooth signal which LibreLink uses for alarms.
So, you must ensure that LibreLink does not have access to Bluetooth. Forcing the closure of LibreLink does this.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I only use xDrip. I had no trouble setting it up but I do work in IT so I am technically minded. Once I had started the sensor, I Force Closed the LibreLink app. This is necessary because the way the OOP2 method works with xDrip is to hijack the Bluetooth signal which LibreLink uses for alarms.
So, you must ensure that LibreLink does not have access to Bluetooth. Forcing the closure of LibreLink does this.
Thank you, that makes sense and nice and clear.

Reactions: In Response

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
im lucky.. i have dexcom g6 and libre..

for me the g6 is far more accurate, never had much luck with the libre

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I use a Libre 1, and miaomiao with a watlaa watch. Alarms and calibrations are set on the watch. I also use LibreView on my phone so the diabetes team are able to download info. I think I’m stubbornly behind the times with this, but it works, and as they say, If it ain’t broke . . .