Advice for GP appointment

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The HbA1c is more reliable than fbg readings. The HbA1c test gives the average of your blood sugar readings over the previous 8-12 weeks, which is the time it takes for your red blood cells to be replaced.
The fbg finger prick test only gives a snapshot of your blood sugar level at that moment, which can be influenced by many factors, including DP, stress, infection, tiredness, and your previous night's sleep.

And the meters we use for home testing aren't 100% accurate. The HbA1c analysis is done by medical laboratories.

The readings are on different scales, UK meters give readings in mmol/L. HbA1c readings are in ifcc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smallbrit and dbr10

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. The ‘just eat more veg’ isn’t going to work. I’m actually phobic about it! As in retch and gag any time I try to eat it. I know it is completely psychological as I don’t mind the taste of most things but can’t stand the texture.
Been there. Got the T-shirt.
I was the fussiest of eaters as a child. No butter, no gravy etc. I must have been a nightmare for my mother. Gag reflex ? I bet mine is/was bigger than yours. As you say it's often down to mouth-feel. Also, psychologically, I wonder if it's connected to being in control of what is in our mouth, as I have a severe gag-reflex problem with dentists/hygienists working in my mouth, which has recently surfaced big-time as I prepared for imminently upcoming surgery.
At some point (in my 30s ?) I realised all my fears were irrational, and needed addressing, so I gradually tried each of my trigger foods. Start slowly. Try a smidgen. Pay full attention to keep the best control of your reaction.
End result ? I'll now eat almost everything. I can eat a spoonful of butter, drown my food in gravy etc.
Your answer may be in the degree of cooking of your vegetables. Were they always too mushy ? Then try being on the other side of 'al dente'.
As you say it's all in the mind, and the mind can be conquered.
Let's win this.
Geoff

Dexie1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Geoff. In my mind it’s the crunchy texture actually. I prefer softer (mushier) things. I can manage a vegetable soup if it’s blitzed but recently have managed to eat chunkier soup (if I just swallow and don’t chew lol).

I’ve been addicted to sugar for so long that the ‘savoury’ tastes of greens is really off putting for me. That said I do eat some savoury stuff but I do think that they’re still on the sweeter side. Hoping that as I wean myself off sugar my palette will change in that sense too. I think the aversion to ‘green’ things is a physiological reaction too as your body is meant to reject anything it perceives as ‘poisonous’ or harmful if that makes sense.

Somewhere long ago in my early years I’m sure I had some bad reaction or experience with it. I am trying to find a counsellor/therapist to help me work through some of that.

I have tried sweet potatoes and carrots in the last two weeks. I know they’re higher in sugar but at least I’ve tried them. The greens are the biggy though.

delmcp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Dexie1 just a point to note that all meters have a discrepancy factor of around 15% and your fbg figures are very good, your HbA1c is the figure to go off. your finger prick figures although still very important are just a guide to where your BG levels are at that specific time.
for a BG levels of 6 the discrepancy is 0.9 so the actual figure could be 5.1 or 6.9.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been addicted to sugar for so long that the ‘savoury’ tastes of greens is really off putting for me.
What are you drinking habits ? Tea/coffee with sugar/sweetener ? Or not tea/coffee but sweet drinks e.g. diet colas etc ?
Again, I used to drink tea with 3 sugars. I weaned myself off the sugar by reducing the amount. Once off, it took about a week to get used to no sugar. If given some by mistake, it tastes like syrup now. Yuk.
Geoff

Dexie1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you drinking habits ? Tea/coffee with sugar/sweetener ? Or not tea/coffee but sweet drinks e.g. diet colas etc ?
Again, I used to drink tea with 3 sugars. I weaned myself off the sugar by reducing the amount. Once off, it took about a week to get used to no sugar. If given some by mistake, it tastes like syrup now. Yuk.
Geoff

I mostly drink water. Tea no sugar and literally a splash of milk or red bush tea or Green tea with no milk. I don’t drink any diet juice. I very occasionally will have some no sugar added squash but have weaned myself off that as well really.