Advice from podders please

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just started on the omnipod yesterday transitioned from Animas vibe. Set up PDM with basal rates etc from old pump and wearing first pod on my arm. Whilst I'm loving the freedom of the patch pump I have been hypo City both during day and night. I know there is a need for basal tests and adjustments to ratios needed to be checked etc but am wondering if separate basal profiles are needed depending where you wear the pod ie stomach, arm or leg etc. Any thoughts or advice most welcome. Thank you

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just started on the omnipod yesterday transitioned from Animas vibe. Set up PDM with basal rates etc from old pump and wearing first pod on my arm. Whilst I'm loving the freedom of the patch pump I have been hypo City both during day and night. I know there is a need for basal tests and adjustments to ratios needed to be checked etc but am wondering if separate basal profiles are needed depending where you wear the pod ie stomach, arm or leg etc. Any thoughts or advice most welcome. Thank you

Hi there Postleneo. I'm not a pump user, but I do know @Mel dCP is an Omnipodder, with multiple basal profiles. I've heard her mention profiles for various reasons, but don't think I've noticed any naming body parts!

I do hope it all settles down for you.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I haven't got basal profiles set up for different body areas, just different times of the month! I wear my pod all over the place, the only time I noticed a real difference in absorption was last week, when a pod on my tummy seemed to be working much faster. when I took it off it bled quite a lot, so the cannula had obviously hit a blood vessel.

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks for your response was not sure whether it was the site placement ie the arm or that the omnipod delivers the insulin more effectively than my previous pump. Oh well looks like I'm starting from scratch with re adjusting all my rates and pump settings. Many thanks again

Reactions: Becca6510

Becca6510

Hi to you both! I’m currently in the process of being changed onto the pump and I get a choice of different pumps.. one being the omnipod. How do you both find it? I’m totally brand new to pumping in general but prefer the idea that you wear it on your skin rather than clipping it to clothes

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Becca. I have only just moved over to the omnipod as my previous pump the Animas Vibe is no longer available in the UK. The experience for me so far is that the PDP (the controller about the size of a mobile phone) is very easy to set up and use. I have been having a couple of connection issues but this may be me being unlucky and receiving a faulty PDM so please don't let this put you off. The pod still delivers insulin th the absence of the pod but you do née the PDM to deliver a bolus. The pod itself is very small and light and I don't even notice that its on.the pods are very easy to fill withiinsulin and the PDM gives you clear step by step instructions. The auto cannula insertion for me is completely pain free. The pods are completely water proof upto 7.6 metres for 30 mins but the PDM is not. One thing I hav noticed however is that the delivery of a bolus is much slower than my previous pump and you can not feel the insulin being delivered but again this may be down to my PDM. The PDM is a bit old/retro looking and light but I do belive that a new updated PDM will be released in the UK next year. Although it is only my 2nd day on this system I am very happy with it and love the freedom of no tubes. I hope this helps and if you have any questions please let me know and will try to answer them as best I can

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It’s my first and only pump, I absolutely love it. It’s so small and discreet. The PDM is a bit clunky, but it does the job.