Advice I was given when first diagnosed t1

Glendog72

I was very fit, and when the rug was pulled from beneath my feet, I had to make changes!
I was told I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I calculated the amount of bolus insulin correctly!
I used to run miles every day until I began to collapse on runs and have a little something in my pocket to get me home, this was scary and became a regular thing which put me off going out running alone.
The point I am trying to make here is I don’t follow all the advice to the letter as you have to find your own way, looking at the advice I was given at the beginning of this journey I don’t think that was presented correctly although took the worry away I think too much insulin isn’t an alternative solution and you should be controlled with a good diet!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was very fit, and when the rug was pulled from beneath my feet, I had to make changes!
I was told I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I calculated the amount of bolus insulin correctly!
I used to run miles every day until I began to collapse on runs and have a little something in my pocket to get me home, this was scary and became a regular thing which put me off going out running alone.
The point I am trying to make here is I don’t follow all the advice to the letter as you have to find your own way, looking at the advice I was given at the beginning of this journey I don’t think that was presented correctly although took the worry away I think too much insulin isn’t an alternative solution and you should be controlled with a good diet!
Totally agree given that the advice I have been given has gone from 1981's ' eat no sugar and eat snacks and meals at precise times' to DAFNE courses 'eat what you like as long as you dose for it but saturated fat is dangerous' to my own conclusions which are eat low carb because its results in a healthier diet and you can be a little lazier about bolus calculations' . The latter is the approach I can live with greatly aided by the micro dosing of the pump and spot checking with my libre.
Sadly I don't have a lot of respect for dogmatic dieticians and can't really see the point of consultants other than ticking my pump funding box but if anyone knows of any good ones please tell me why?