Advice on controlling T2 BG when on Short term Predisolone

NikiMilligan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Could really do with some advice...

I went down with he flu last week (first post T2 diagnosis).

I'd been forewarned by this forum that it could play havoc with BG so had got in a Freestyle Libre to keep an eye on things without constant finger pricking.

Has proved a great idea - I was going low, so actually had to boost carbs.

Unfortunately also asthmatic - saw GP yesterday who put me on antibiotics and 5 days of 30mg prednisolone with the warning that it could raise BG.

And boy has it!

I'm normally well controlled at 100-150g of carb a day, but as of this morning my fasting BG is 6.6 and even 20g of carb is leaving me at BG10 at the 2 hour mark.

Has anyone any advice what to do about this?

Do I just ignore it for the 3 remaining days of prednisolone, so long as it doesn't go totally out of control, or will that be to the detriment of my long term control?

I know that when it's falling to my 'new' base level of about 6.6 I'm getting very hungry and weak as if I'm getting low but my liver clearly doesn't agree!

I just don't know what to do - My body still needs energy to recover from the flu (still sniffly), but this has totally thrown me off beam.

Anyone got any suggestions (wish the gp has given a bit more guidance!).

justism91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, same here. Im taking prednisolone to treat some allergic rashes. I’ve been given 15mg/day for 3 days. And yes, my blood sugar readings have rocketed the next day upon taking them. my post meals readings are always below 7 and now its always in the 8s range.

Im still waiting for my diabetic care team to reply my email regarding this. I will update you here once I have some updates. Meanwhile I’ll suggest that you should just cut down on carbs and take in more veggies. Try to keep that sugar levels below 10 mmol/dl.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have asthma and short term courses of prednisolone have not had any lasting effects or progressed my prediabetes over the last 6 years. It takes me about 2 weeks to get back down to normal. I had a bad year in 2013 with 3 prescriptions in the winter with no lasting problems.

It is no fun coughing, constant thirst and trips to the loo. I hope you both recover quickly.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Taking the tablets is more important at the moment as you need to recover, and eat whatever you feel like eating in order for your body to recover. I would just ride out the higher BS levels as there is little you can do - and stressing about it won't help. It isn't a long course, it will soon be over, and then you should just return to normal.