advice on gliclazide

katfish75

I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic 3 years ago when I was 28, I have been needing less insulin and therefore becuase of this and the fact I didnt have certain antibodies my consultant has said I was wrongly diagnosed as a type 1, I have since been put onto gliclazide which seems to work but it sends me into hypos overnight but am high in the day in between meal times, has anyone got any experience with adjustment to glicazide from insulin (I know its not the norm)?? thanks, kat.

ginger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Kat,

I don't have experience with adjustment to glicazide from insulin. I started on Metformin and now take glicazide too.

I had experienced hypos - now and then - which I didn't know were hypos till I read about them on this sight.

Lately my blood sugar has been more under control but I have had quite few hypos. I am perscribed one glicazide in the morning and one in the evening. I am going to try taking half a tablet am and pm to see if this helps without putting my levels up...

I wonder why you haven't been started on Metformin?

Hope all goes well,
Ginger

katfish75

Hi Ginger

thanks for the advice, what is metformin? They have kept me on lantus for a base insulin, as this was what I was on when they thought I was type 1. Do you find you cant eat any carbs at lunchtime?

thanks

Kat

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Kat,

Its not surprising that you are getting hypos if you are on insulin as well as a sulphonylurea (glicazide). Glicazide stimulates the beta cells of your pancreas to produce more insulin. By taking both you are effectively getting a double dose.

As Ginger said, the normal "base" treatment for a type 2, which you seem to be, is metformin. Glicazide is usually only given as a top-up where metformin alone doesn't quite do the job. Because the treatment your GP has put you on will trigger hypos, it can be extremely dangerous. You need to make an urgent appointment with your GP and ask to be referred to a consultant. If your GP is reluctant then <u>demand</u> to be referred. Your GP does not have the right to refuse. You have already been seriously misdiagnosed once (by this GP I wonder?) and it sounds very like your treatment is now also being mis-managed.

katfish75

this was a consultant at st georges hospital in london who was supposed to be top in her field. lantus is my base, and gliclazide the top up meal time insulin, she said only use the novorapid (a couple of units) if the gliclazide wasnt quite doing the trick over the christmas period, I will stay on my old insulin for now and enquire about metformin in the new year

thanks for your help

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Kat,

What can I say - when a diabetes consultant doesn't know the difference between type 1 and type 2 then God help us all!!

sofaraway

haven't done it your way around, but I went from gliclazide to lantus and novorapid.

were you having any problems being on insulin? If not then i don't see a reason really to stop doing whats working, because it appears you are having problems now. I imagine they wanted to try you because if you could get away without insulin that would be better.

from your other post is doesn't look like you were using big doses at all, so that wouldn't point to the insulin resistance of type 2.
what dose of gliclazide are you using? I started on 20mg a day which is 1/4 of a tablet.

sounds like you are one of those tricky people who are difficult to type, whatever the type that treatment that works is the most important