Advice on hypos

billy3c

Hi guys, I'm looking for advice. I'm supposed to be taking 2x500mg twice daily, but was really struggling with frequent hypos, I started checking my blood when I felt lightheaded and my sugar was very low. A sweet cup of tea put me right after 10 minutes. So I've cut my tablets down to one in the morning with my breakfast, but I'm still having hypos. As strange as it sounds do I need to take in more sugar? I eat 4 times a day, not big meals though. Need to get this right, I cannot afford to lose brain cells at my age, lol

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, I'm looking for advice. I'm supposed to be taking 2x500mg twice daily, but was really struggling with frequent hypos, I started checking my blood when I felt lightheaded and my sugar was very low. A sweet cup of tea put me right after 10 minutes. So I've cut my tablets down to one in the morning with my breakfast, but I'm still having hypos. As strange as it sounds do I need to take in more sugar? I eat 4 times a day, not big meals though. Need to get this right, I cannot afford to lose brain cells at my age, lol

Hi @billy3c - It's hard to tell what medication you are taking from your post or your profile? Could you please clarify?

If you care to, you can add your medication to your personal profile, from your Account Settings. To access your account, just click on your user name at the top, right hand side of your screen, where your name appears, then scroll down that page until you come to the Medication field.

I hope that helps.

SimonCrox

This is odd; the metabet metformin does not generally cause hypos on its own, but you clearly describe hypo symptoms, low glucose levels and getting better with glucose.
How low do your glucose levels go?
Are you taking other drugs since tramadol and quinine amongst others can cause hypos?
If you are going low, then you probably do not need your metformin; if you are watching your glucose levels, then you could try stopping the last metformin tablet, keeping a record of your gluocse levels and checking with GP or whoever helps with your diabetes in the community.
It used to be said that diabetes after pancreatitis would not respond to tablets cos there was not enough pancreas to make insulin; so it is again odd that going low on metformin- sorry - not much help
best wishes