Advice on pumps please

VHL-Man_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I'm new to the forum..
I'm looking for some advice please.
I've not long been accepted for a pump and the funding in place.
I met with my pump team earlier this week and I'm to choose from the Medtronic 640g or the Accu-Check Insight.

The Insight had a flat battery so couldn't really get to see much of it, layout etc. Was told the handset can be very slow .
( I really wanted to see more of it )

The Medtronic however was getting lots of praise, it looked a good little pump. But I found a lot going on as the the DSN was scrolling through menu.

However this is all new to me so it would have my brain doing somersaults .

I couldn't make a decision there and then so went back to think and do research.
Will be letting my team know this next week or so .

Can anyone give me any advice on these pumps, if you use these models and pros and cons etc.
Be most grateful.

Type 1-
Insulin dependent 11 years now.
Had 3/4 pancreas removed 18 years ago

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
If I were you I would go on youtube and watch the videos on there, there are hundreds...

I use the Insight as a first pump so I can not compare it, do I like it? well it has its + and -. The handset is not a mobile so it runs slow but it does work out your boluses so thats to be expexted, my gripe are the air bubbles in th pre filled cartridges, I'm on my second pump and these continue to be a problem,

Reactions: VHL-Man_

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @VHL-Man_ , welcome to the forum!

Like @Gaz-M I have an Insight - actually we started at a similar time, didn't we Gaz? It's my first pump too, and I LOVE IT.

I didn't have a choice of which pump to have, and actually I think I would have struggled to decide, not knowing of course all the ins and outs of the concepts of pumping at the time, never mind what pump does what!

I love the fact it has a remote control (the meter/handset). I can tell the pump what to do either by fishing out the pump from where I wear it, and pushing the buttons on the pump itself, or I can 'drive' using the handset. It's nice to have that option.

It is small and neat and I think it looks nice and feels nice to hold. Where the hosepipe leaves the pump it looks particularly sleek. Not of huge importance, admittedly, but I like that it looks nice.

Prefilled cartridges means not having to fill a reservoir. I like that cartridges give it a familiar feel - heck, I bunged cartridges into a succession of Novopens for decades. It's familiar and unfaffy.

Yes the handset is slow, in a society where we expect instant reaction from any touchscreen device. It's frustrating but heck, I'm impressed that my level of patience has grown since starting to use it...... I mean, it's fine, but annoying. Still, I'd much prefer to HAVE the remote than not.

I love my pump. Twice I've had to send back the handset as the on/off switch went for a Burton. Both times they replaced it. I've had good experiences with customer services.

Next Thursday I'll've had my Insight for two years. I shall be raising a birthday glass to it!

Enjoy the journey, @VHL-Man_ ! I can recommend the book 'Pumping Insulin'. I read it from cover to cover in the weeks before my pump start.

I found everything a really big deal when I started pumping. It was a massive, massive headspin. It took me from October to Christmas to be confident with my basal rates and bolus ratios, and there were many frustrations. But I worked really hard, I didn't chuck it out of the window despite many temptations, and six months in everything was second nature. I'm thrilled to bits with my Insight - although I suspect I would have loved ANY first pump, as it is the pumping which makes such a difference to my management of type 1, not the actual pump!

Love Snapsy
:)

Mickyduff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had the Medtronic 640g for 18 months now, this is my first pump so I have no direct comparison for you unfortunately.
The menus are overwhelming at first, but like anything really, when you are using it day in day out it becomes second nature. you can give such tiny increments of insulin if you really want to fine tune your BG's, ranging from 0.025 to 0.1 unit. It is slightly 'chunky' but I think that is to house a large reservoir of insulin (around 300 units) which is why I chose mine, due to my large(ish) appetite ;). Though the pump requires a lot of work from you, I'm sure whatever pump you go for, you will realise, it's a definite game changer. It's also helped reduce my HbA1c to 6.4%.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
actually we started at a similar time, didn't we Gaz?

yes we did Snapsy I think you started on yours by a week or 2

Reactions: Snapsy and lely

Rosco55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
On Cellnovo system as a trial....first time on a pump and as a road/track cyclist the flexibility etc is excellent.

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
I've had the Medtronic 640g for 18 months now, this is my first pump so I have no direct comparison for you unfortunately.
The menus are overwhelming at first, but like anything really, when you are using it day in day out it becomes second nature. you can give such tiny increments of insulin if you really want to fine tune your BG's, ranging from 0.025 to 0.1 unit. It is slightly 'chunky' but I think that is to house a large reservoir of insulin (around 300 units) which is why I chose mine, due to my large(ish) appetite ;). Though the pump requires a lot of work from you, I'm sure whatever pump you go for, you will realise, it's a definite game changer. It's also helped reduce my HbA1c to 6.4%.
Hey! :)
I'm thinking about changing my current pump to 640G but I was wondering if it's too tiring to keep changing the hole reservoir every three days - is it? I mean, I travel a lot so I wonder if it gives too much trouble.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm thinking about changing my current pump to 640G but I was wondering if it's too tiring to keep changing the hole reservoir every three days - is it? I mean, I travel a lot so I wonder if it gives too much trouble.
It depends how much insulin you use. I change mine every 5 or so days.

Reactions: deborabaratto
D

Deleted Account

I have a Vibe, not 640G, but change my cartridge every other day.
It would last 3 to 4 days but the cannula gets irritating after 2 days so I have to change that and it is easier to align the cartridge change at the same time.
It takes less than 5 minutes in total which is less time than all the injections I used to take on MDI.

I know there are pumps with larger cartridges available (Vibe is 200 units) but I favour something small than adding more bulk to the, already bulky, pump.

There are also pumps with pre-filled cartridges. However, I would feel there is a lot of wasted insulin because you only have a full cartridge: I can put as much insulin as I want in my cartridge and not throw as much away. I actually syphon the remaining insulin out of the last cartridge and put it in the new one to minimise waste.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure you could download the user manuals for both pumps and work your way through them, although nothing compares to a hands on play with them. And as already suggested youtube is your best friend :)

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
On that basis, you'd get about 10 days out of the three ml reservoirs in the 640G!
That's great!
What about batteries? Do you use a specific super powered one or the a normal one? How long does it usually lasts?

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
I have a Vibe, not 640G, but change my cartridge every other day.
It would last 3 to 4 days but the cannula gets irritating after 2 days so I have to change that and it is easier to align the cartridge change at the same time.
It takes less than 5 minutes in total which is less time than all the injections I used to take on MDI.

I know there are pumps with larger cartridges available (Vibe is 200 units) but I favour something small than adding more bulk to the, already bulky, pump.

There are also pumps with pre-filled cartridges. However, I would feel there is a lot of wasted insulin because you only have a full cartridge: I can put as much insulin as I want in my cartridge and not throw as much away. I actually syphon the remaining insulin out of the last cartridge and put it in the new one to minimise waste.
Hmmm I see. I think I'm gonna call Medtronic and ask them it give it a try with the 640G before doing anything so I can check this kind of things

Thanks for the advice :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That's great!
What about batteries? Do you use a specific super powered one or the a normal one? How long does it usually lasts?
I normally use lithium batteries that I get from Sainsbury's as I feel bad getting the NHS to pay the elevated prices that pump companies charge for normal alkaline batteries. With those, I usually get around 4 weeks in a 640G.

Reactions: deborabaratto

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
I normally use lithium batteries that I get from Sainsbury's as I feel bad getting the NHS to pay the elevated prices that pump companies charge for normal alkaline batteries. With those, I usually get around 4 weeks in a 640G.
Ok, thats good! When o called Medtronic to explain to me how the pump works they told my that the batteries last 4-5 days only, and that sucks.
But thanks a lot for replying, it's awesome to see how it works in real life :)

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using a Medtronic Paradigm 722 for the past nine years with one replacement about five years ago because of a slight crack in the casing. They have been wonderfully reliable machines. Presumably the Medtronic 640g that you've been offered is a later model but one would hope it's just as good. Would hate to have to go back to injecting with a syringe.

Angusc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the 640G battery life will depend on settings and if you've got a CGM running as well with lots of alarms my batteries tend to last 6-7 days but have loads of alarms set on the CGM, you need to keep an eye on the battery compartment as the can crack, which Medtronic will replace I've had 1 replacement in 5 years.
The Medtronic is good if you've bad hypo warning symptoms as the CGM can suspend insulin delivery if it detects you going low which for me is 2-8 a week.

Mickyduff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, sorry for the late reply, I do a complete set change; cannula and reservoir every three days without fail, I tend to only fill my reservoir to around 200 units and I pretty much use all of that, with a small amount of contingency. But I cant see why you couldn't fill it and replace when empty, just as long as your change your cannula when required. Do you change your cannula every three days?