1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Advice on Running an half Marathon on injection

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by Georgiee, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Georgiee

Georgiee Type 1 · Member

Hey I'm looking to run a half marathon in September I've ran 2 previously to be diagnosed. November I'll be 2 years T1.
    I'm still very active with bootcamp strength training and the 5 or 10k thrown in a few times a week.
    My question is how you guys that run manage your insulin when running long distances.
    I did a 10k trail run on Saturday and really struggled a combination of an hypo before bed which left me not being able to sleep so a lack of sleep also.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Georgiee

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Dearbhla

Dearbhla Type 1 · Active Member

Georgiee, firstly, I'm not a runner. Also type 1. I'd bad low bloods. On a hike late Sunday.
    Air temperature- HEAT might cause us trouble, I think we need less quick acting insulin in heat?
    Are you able to reduce the overnight insulin a little, after running a 10k? You didn't have lows during the run? I'd say you're on a quick acting and a background insulin.
    I reduce my background insulin by 2 units before a steep hike. It still brings down my bloods 6 hours later. I reduce my lunchtime insulin/eat extra carbs at lunch. Last Sunday I didn't factor in the heat on the mountain, I'd presumed there'd be a cool breeze.
    Do you eat beans, eggs? Breakfast of normal tinned baked beans and an egg help me keep bloods stable on a hike...and I didn't eat them last Sunday...

3. Georgiee

Georgiee Type 1 · Member

Hi Derbhla, Yes I'm on quick acting and background insulin. when I'm going to to be running or exercising first thing in the morning I don't have any insulin on board. I've found that this helps me with low as when I was first diagnosed I'd go off do a Bootcamp session which are quite hard going I'd come back eat so adjust and take my back ground insulin and find that I'd drop like a stone. although my DN does think this is because I'd also be doing the house work which can often be like a workout its self . I'd did a like in Edale at the weekend ate low sugar bake beans and eggs and a slice of low card bread and found I was fine when came back down from the hill side but felt a little nervous as this was my first walk since being diagnosed new camper van prompted the walk lol.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook