Advice please,type 1

Vickyp

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my bf is type 1 however doesn't look after himself well,he's supposed to do 4 injections a day but only does 1,even most nights he misses his night injection.we've been together 5yrs and he's always been like this even tho he's had it all of his life,,his sugars are either really high,above 20 or he's having a hypo,I'm worried about the damage he's doing to his body and what complications he's likely to face,I've looked at other websites but a bit confused,I don't know how to get him to control his diabetes properly x

Vickyp

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks ill look in to it but I don't think he'll go as he never even goes to his check ups,I will try tho x

slaterk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The problem is that people need to take responsibility for themselves, you can't do it for him! How old is he? Have you tried explaining what the possible complications are if he doesn't take this seriously? Blindness, amputations, liver failure, kidney failure, heart disease are the main ones and they are all very real risks.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
He needs to start taking care of himself, you can't do it for him. Complications are no laughing matter as I have found out now that I have Stage 4 CKD, he really needs to get control

Lorna

Vickyp

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
I know,his family have been telling him for years,I've talked to him before about what can happen but he thinks he'll be ok,he's 33 and we're even getting married soon but I worry if his body will just shut down

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Sorry to hear your boyfriend won't look after himself.
I know this may sound very harsh but if you are getting married soon does he expect you to care for him if he gets complications in the near future? And if so, are you prepared to care for him if he does get problems?
If he won't take responsibility for his health now he could end up having multiple medical appointments that he will have to attend or things could get nasty and he will get very poorly.
Are you planning to have children? If he isn't responsible enough to look after himself could he care for children?
I'm afraid these are all things that you need to consider before committing to him if he won't help himself. Tell him you won't marry him until he sorts himself out - that may spur him into action.
Sorry it this sounds nasty but sometimes shock tactics are the only option.
Hope you get things sorted and well done for caring for him enough to come here to look for help.
Good luck, regards
Angie

Vickyp

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you,we already have a child together and he has another to,I sometimes worry about leaving him with them while I'm at work but most of the time he's with other family to,I shouldn't have to tho I know,I nearly called off the wedding a few months ago and wish I had now but now everything is paid for,I think I just need to give him a good talking to,hopefully he'll listen

CambridgeLass

Wow Vicky, exactly what Angie said. It's kind of set in stone that if you don't look after yourself and run years of high numbers you'll get complications. Burying his head in the sand thinking he'll be OK as he's lasted this long. It's so irresponsible to your child and to you. I live for my kids and want to be around to take care of them, and certainly not to be a burden. Sorry to sound harsh but fast forward 5 years and this will be where it is. The sooner something is done he can at least prevent further damage.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App