Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
Hi all, I am T2.
I haven't been on here a while but to cut a long story short.....I managed to eat my way (bereavement and gen stress) up to a terrible Hba1c level of 14% and my GP put me on Glimeperimide, going up to 4mg a day.
After 3 months my levels had lowered but not enough (12% ,) so 4 weeks ago I decided to start the Lighterlife Programme of VLCD. I have 6 stones to lose.
Weight loss so far is good but my BG numbers were dropping quickly from 16/20's to 11/12's and my eyesight became very blurry which I had before.
Last week my numbers were in the 9-11 range so I decided to reduce my med from 4 to 2 mg per day.
In the last few days I started to see 6's and 7's which I know is good but scared me so I reduced again to 1 1/2 mg but was seeing low 5's and 4's.
I am worried because I had no hypoish symptoms but was scared I would crash overnight so found I was treating as a hypo just incase!
Obvs this isn't ideal on the eating plan/carbs front.
I experimented with taking no med at all but that sends me up to 9's again.
Anyway, I asked to speak to the DN and she has prescribed me 1mg tabs and to have 1 or 2 a day.
She said as I am clued up she would leave it to me to reduce/add as needed and keep testing 4 times a day.
I don't know whether to start on 1x1mg a day to see what happens or break in half and take 1/2mg twice.
I think the prob is that obvs 9's is too high with no med but i'm scared of going too low as well !
I have been finding I drop a lot very quickly and with no hypo symptoms that worries me at night.
Sorry for the long tale of woe but I really want my Sept Hba1c to be much much better but not sure what can be achieved realistically in 3 months.
Thanks.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Geminigirl . Well done for making the effort to regain control of your weight and blood glucose.
Am I right in thinking you have tried VLCD methods before? I have used this method myself in the past, with some success. However, medication and blood glucose, ketone levels, blood pressure and weight were closely monitored by HCPs. Iwould not have attempted it without that support, and would be very concerned to be left tomanage medication myself. As you are on medication for more than one health condition it would be wise to have more support in how and when to reduce the doses. It is not something members here can advise on though. Best go back to GP or nurse for that.
Best of luck.