advice please

lynn grace

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone
my name is lynn and I wonderd if anyone can put me right please, ive had my blood tested by my doctor the first test was 8.5 the second and third was the same,the doctor wants to put me on tablets but ive asked him to wait and see if I can bring it down by diet and exercise.
I go to the gym 5 days a week since may
I eat healthy
im 5ft 8inch tall and was 13st 6lb since may ive lost 11 lb so am now 12st 9lb.
this week ive started doing my own blood sugar levels and im so disappointed
Monday AM it was 7.8 PM it was5.4
Tuesday AM it was 7.4 PM it was 6.1
Wednesday AM was 7.8 PM was 6.2
Thursday AM was 7.8 PM 5.3
Friday AM 8.1 PM 7.2
Saturday today AM was 9.0 PM 11.1
I just cannot understand why its up and down all the time I must admit I don't know very much about this, can anyone tell me what I should and shouldn't be eating and drinking?, also will it ever be stable? should I be testing more and if so when?

B

badcat

Hi, I'm another Lynn!
The best way to test is to take a BM before you eat a food, and then test again 2 hrs later - that way you can see what foods spike your sugars and which are safer. You want to aim for a fasting blood sugar of 4-6 and a reading under 8 2 hrs after eating
There are different eating patterns adopted by diabetics with positive effects and what works for one individual at one point in time may not be right for another person or for the same person at a different stage of diabetes.
I have moved from high complex carbs to low carb over the years as my tolerance for carbs changed

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
On the whole your numbers seem ok but you have a couple of high readings your best way of telling is to test just before eating and then retest 2 hours after eating

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin

lynn grace

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thankyou for your replies. my morning test is always a fasting one and as the doctors readings was a fasting at 8.5
I suppose 5 reading out of 6 that I have done is not bad, but I will try reading just before meals and 2 hrs after. ive also been told by a friend cinnamon brings the reading down i will try it I suppose anything is worth trying. it was the 11.1 that worried me can you tell me what is a dangerous level?

B

badcat

One off highs aren't dangerous in themselves until they're way up ( think 20's) - it's the damage that long term high readings ( outside of the 4-8 range )cause that cause significant health problems

Reactions: 2 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lynn and welcome, don't be dissapointed, your levels are not that bad. What you need to to is cut your carbohydrates, i.e. rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, cakes, biscuits etc. Carbohydrates are the main cause of high blood glucose levels. Have a look at www.dietdoctor.com/lchf which explains all about carbohydrates.

Have a good look round the site and other people's posts and threads. Look on the low carb forum, also http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html which explaines why your bg is higher in the mornings.

If you have any questions, just ask, we are a very friendly bunch.

Good luck!

Marilyn x

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Hello @ lynn grace

There are two chances of high readings and one is minute contamination (like dried sweat) on the test area and it will send your reading high and the other is eating too many carbs. So odd readings are sometimes just contaminated blood samples.

I like to talk about exciting new food choices rather than "having to give up major carbs" . Just make a game of it and have fun, there are three of us here (I am the only diabetic) and we have been having a great time finding and adapting lo carb recipes. I have cake/muffins cooking now filled with sweetened mixed berries and my son makes chocolate cake, and 2 days ago I made a cashew and orange chocolate (squares). And we all have lost weight and I have gone from 130 units of insulin down to zero.

Relax and make yourself a nice chocolate cake, you can have cream with it too or ice it with cream cheese icing and sweetener and flavorings.

The chocolate cake is delish but you can adapt the recipe for other flavored cakes.

• Chocolate lovers can enjoy low carb desserts, too! If chocolate is your thing, you can make a low carb, three-minute chocolate cake. In a large glass measuring cup, mix together ¼ cup almond flour, one tablespoon cocoa, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, three tablespoons Splenda, two tablespoons melted butter, one tablespoon water, and one egg. Cover the measuring cup with plastic wrap, cut a small slit in it, and microwave on high for one to two minutes or until the cake looks set but still moist. If you enjoyed this, try out our other low carb cake options or our advice on low carb brownies!
Enjoy!