Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!
So i have been on injections since i was diagnosed at 4years old, i'm now 28 and have agreed to go on the pump for various reasons, my nurse has been pushing it for years but i never (and still don't) like the idea of being connected in via tubes. I worry about catching them or pulling them out, even in my sleep. I have expressed interest in the Omnipod 5 as a tubeless alternative and my nurse has said this can be offered, however they would prefer i use the DANA pump. The only issue with the Omnipod is that i am a lifelong Samsung user, i'm due an upgrade but am really reluctant to switch to iPhone. I know health comes first etc etc but would really rather not switch. What is everyone's experiences with them both and can you recommend one over the other?
Also I am getting married in April (eek) so can any T1/2 brides offer advice about sensor locations, and how to integrate the pump into my wedding dress if i am using the pump by then? I don't mind too much having the sensor on my arm but if i can put it somewhere a bit more secure that would be great!
Thanks in advance

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Congratulations on getting married Shannon.

I wore my pump in a nude pump belt around my leg so had easy access under the table and wasn't visible, worked brilliantly when I got married last year. I am tandem slim, dexcom g6 and iphone user, I still kept my sensor on the back of my arm as wasn't bothered who saw it, it wasn't visible to me but still doing the great job it does to keep me in range, I just went hypo as we went for our reception but easily sorted with a few glucotabs. Day was otherwise completely unaffected by t1d. I love the tandem slim as works as a closed loop system, it's tubed but again this is no bother, tubing is short and tucks into the pump belt which i wear for sleep too and stays well out the way. I suffer badly with sensitive skin so unsure the Omnipod would work for me.

The hardest part was the transition from injections to pump as I expected instant wonders and it does take a few weeks to settle in with ratio adjustments and I became quite disillusioned during this stage, just requires a little patience.

Reactions: EllieM and Pipp

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations on getting married Shannon.

I wore my pump in a nude pump belt around my leg so had easy access under the table and wasn't visible, worked brilliantly when I got married last year. I am tandem slim, dexcom g6 and iphone user, I still kept my sensor on the back of my arm as wasn't bothered who saw it, it wasn't visible to me but still doing the great job it does to keep me in range, I just went hypo as we went for our reception but easily sorted with a few glucotabs. Day was otherwise completely unaffected by t1d. I love the tandem slim as works as a closed loop system, it's tubed but again this is no bother, tubing is short and tucks into the pump belt which i wear for sleep too and stays well out the way. I suffer badly with sensitive skin so unsure the Omnipod would work for me.

The hardest part was the transition from injections to pump as I expected instant wonders and it does take a few weeks to settle in with ratio adjustments and I became quite disillusioned during this stage, just requires a little patience.
Thanks Juicy :) I have a hoop skirt on my dress so plenty of room to put it on my leg haha!
I'm definitely not expecting immediate wonders once i go on the pump, but i tend to get a bit erratic when i'm excited, and as i love dancing at parties that has a huge effect on my readings, so we are having lots of sugary treats available just in case. I'd like to be either settled with the pump or still using injections at that stage as i suspect i will have enough to think about :D

I picked up my first dexcom on Monday and am waiting for the information from my nurse on how to use it. Still using the Libre2 yet but i'm trying to prepare.

Reactions: Juicyj

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I amon omnipod 5 and don't like it much. Would like to go on T slim. But tubing is no problem it is quite strong and can be disconnected for a shot while, at least when I last used one it could.

Reactions: Shannon27

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Would also say I recently bought a new mob phone from amazon, amazing low price. A34 or is it t34. Works well with omnipod. Loads cheaper than pay monthly. Less than half price, and easy to set up using a connecting lead

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whilst I have not used either the Dana or the OmniPod, I have used other tubed and tubeless pumps.
The tubing was never a problem with the tubed pump. I move a lot in my sleep and don't wear anything with pockets. I never pulled the cannula out but without a pump belt around my upper thigh, my pump would always find a way underneath my bony hip and wake me up. During the day, my pump was usually clipped on my belt or in my pump belt. Unfortunately, for me, this was rarely comfortable and, when I transistion to a tubeless pump, one of the first unexpected things I realised was the lack of bruising on my hips. This is probably a personal thing and down to my lack of "padding" because it is not something others have mentioned.
I started my patch (tubeless) pump about 5 years ago. I think all pumps have moved on since I started (including my current pump) so some of the issues with my tubed pump such as bulkiness and needing to get it out for every bolus are not as relevant. However, my patch pump, controlled via a phone app is still more discrete than most tubed pumps.

I have not been through the wedding with diabetes scenario. But I do remember my first introduction to pumps - about 9 years ago. The presenter had a story about working with a bride for their wedding day with a pump and how her dress was adapted to incorporate the pump. As great as this sounded, it wasn't until he showed a photo of the meringue with a giant bow hiding the pump, that I realised what he meant. Thankfully, pumps have moved on and dresses with hoops are much more pleasing on the (my) eye than the giant bow.

Sorry, I realise I have waffled so I will summarise:
- it is a personal choice - you will get as many people loving tubes as loving tubeless
- the fear of pulling out a cannula is understandable but very rare and tubed pumps can be controlled during a restless night with a pump belt.
- for me, being able to manage boluses without pulling out your pump is important to being "normal"
- there may be a place for meringues on your wedding day but diabetes is not an excuse for them

Reactions: Shannon27

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst I have not used either the Dana or the OmniPod, I have used other tubed and tubeless pumps.
The tubing was never a problem with the tubed pump. I move a lot in my sleep and don't wear anything with pockets. I never pulled the cannula out but without a pump belt around my upper thigh, my pump would always find a way underneath my bony hip and wake me up. During the day, my pump was usually clipped on my belt or in my pump belt. Unfortunately, for me, this was rarely comfortable and, when I transistion to a tubeless pump, one of the first unexpected things I realised was the lack of bruising on my hips. This is probably a personal thing and down to my lack of "padding" because it is not something others have mentioned.
I started my patch (tubeless) pump about 5 years ago. I think all pumps have moved on since I started (including my current pump) so some of the issues with my tubed pump such as bulkiness and needing to get it out for every bolus are not as relevant. However, my patch pump, controlled via a phone app is still more discrete than most tubed pumps.

I have not been through the wedding with diabetes scenario. But I do remember my first introduction to pumps - about 9 years ago. The presenter had a story about working with a bride for their wedding day with a pump and how her dress was adapted to incorporate the pump. As great as this sounded, it wasn't until he showed a photo of the meringue with a giant bow hiding the pump, that I realised what he meant. Thankfully, pumps have moved on and dresses with hoops are much more pleasing on the (my) eye than the giant bow.

Sorry, I realise I have waffled so I will summarise:
- it is a personal choice - you will get as many people loving tubes as loving tubeless
- the fear of pulling out a cannula is understandable but very rare and tubed pumps can be controlled during a restless night with a pump belt.
- for me, being able to manage boluses without pulling out your pump is important to being "normal"
- there may be a place for meringues on your wedding day but diabetes is not an excuse for them
I love your response, thank you!
I'm unsure if the patch is being offered, however i can ask. It seems much more convenient than a tubed pump, does it work with samsung devices?
After reading some of these responses i think a pump belt on my thigh would be a good option if needed - still inconvenient as my dress has multiple layers and it would be difficult to input my carbs, but if i can get the patch and manage my bolus through an app on my phone like you i don't need to worry about it being accessible :D

Reactions: In Response

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I amon omnipod 5 and don't like it much. Would like to go on T slim. But tubing is no problem it is quite strong and can be disconnected for a shot while, at least when I last used one it could.
Thank you, if i must go on a tubed option, i think the T-slim would be my preference from what i am seeing :)

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
Been on Both Omnipod Dash and Dana-i, before that a couple of predecessors (Animas and Medtronic)

Pumps are life changing - you really will never look back once you get it level - it will make your life and health so much better and easier.

Omnipod Dash was a favourite - super easy to wear and live with, I had issues with the cannula (caused resistance) so needed to go back to a tethered pump - tethered works better than you imagine - have a look at the options by Hid-in (https://www.hid-in.com) - they do some nice straps to make it easier to wear so don't close the door on the Dana.

For the Ominpod 5 - thought they had android software available, but might not by HCL (Closed Loop) - might be worth a look to make sure you don't have to go apple.

Other option would (if you want to go that direction) is to create a DIY artificial pancreas with something like the Dana-i or Omni-Dash to improve your life to the 'next' leve - but it takes a lot of work to get there

I recommend you work out what you want from a pump (just pumping, hybrid closed loop or Fully closed loop) and let that make your decision

Ultimately you should be able to do anything on Android (Samsung) without moving to Apple

username3

According to my diabetic nurses, people have been most happy on the Tandem.

I on the T slim and this is definitely my experience. It's a very good pump, it's smart and has the best user experience of all the options out right now currently. The technology works smoothly in the background to level out your sugars very effectively. You get used to the tubing over time, but you do have to contend with it being an addition to your body that you wear at all times. (I wear mine on a belt 24/7).

However, if being tubeless is a high priority for you, the omnipod may be the preferred option. Wearing something on your arm, you can forget it's there more than you will with an extraneous pump.

For my wedding, I had a pair of skin coloured spanx type shorts with pockets on the side under my dress. You would NEVER have been able to tell. I still wear them with most dresses.

Reactions: EllieM