Advice?

NatashaGray99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
New to the forum, had t1 diabetes for 10 years now, but I just can’t keep up with testing my sugars. Hoping to chat to some people who could give me idea to help me get in control again, for some reason I just can’t do it, I don’t know whether it’s because I feel if I don’t do itv maybe I don’t have diabetes, thinking about me having diabetes sometimes gets me down, I let it control me rather than the other way around, so talking to other people might help? Anyway, I’m Natasha, 21, and I’m new here!

NatashaGray99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @NatashaGray99 , and welcome to the forum!

Have you looked into CGM with your team? Would it be helpful?

Hi! Thank you for you response, I actually have only had 1 face to face appointment with an adult team, I transferred from the children’s clinic when I turned 18, and then Covid hit, and I’m not sure how to go about making an appointment as I don’t have a number to contact the adult team?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! Thank you for you response, I actually have only had 1 face to face appointment with an adult team, I transferred from the children’s clinic when I turned 18, and then Covid hit, and I’m not sure how to go about making an appointment as I don’t have a number to contact the adult team?
That doesn't sound right. What about you call your old team at the childrens clinic to tell them you haven't had contact with your new team in over a year and you don't know how to reach them? They may be able to help you out.

NatashaGray99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That doesn't sound right. What about you call your old team at the childrens clinic to tell them you haven't had contact with your new team in over a year and you don't know how to reach them? They may be able to help you out.

I did think it was a bit odd? Thank you, I will give that a go and see what happens.

Reactions: EllieM

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope they'll be able to help you out.
I saw in your other thread you're taking the bull by the horns and ordered a Libre free trial, and looking into the Dexcom free trial too. Way to go, already starting to own your diabetes instead of it controlling you :)

NatashaGray99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope they'll be able to help you out.
I saw in your other thread you're taking the bull by the horns and ordered a Libre free trial, and looking into the Dexcom free trial too. Way to go, already starting to own your diabetes instead of it controlling you :)

Thank you, that comment has really comforted me! This will be the year I take back control!

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sounds like the libre or dexcom will be really helpful. I frequently struggled with not being bothered to test (was often doing between 5-10 times a day due to doing lots of exercise for a while and I was sick of my fingers being like pin cushions!) and had periods where I then couldn't face it if I didn't have to. The libre made it so easy!!

Have you googled to see if your hospital has a number for your diabetes centre reception on their website? Mine does, which I can also be put through to via the main hospital switchboard. They should be able to tell you if you're in their system for appointments or if there is a diabetes nurse etc number or email they can give you. Hope that helps a little.

NatashaGray99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sounds like the libre or dexcom will be really helpful. I frequently struggled with not being bothered to test (was often doing between 5-10 times a day due to doing lots of exercise for a while and I was sick of my fingers being like pin cushions!) and had periods where I then couldn't face it if I didn't have to. The libre made it so easy!!

Have you googled to see if your hospital has a number for your diabetes centre reception on their website? Mine does, which I can also be put through to via the main hospital switchboard. They should be able to tell you if you're in their system for appointments or if there is a diabetes nurse etc number or email they can give you. Hope that helps a little.

I know, it’s horrible! That’s the only thing I really struggle with so I’m hoping that the libre will make it a lot easier! How did you deal with exercise? I want to keep active, my job is rather active but I’d love to start running but I’m afraid that I’ll go into a hypo!

Thank you, that’s a great idea! I’ll give that a try as well! Let’s hope I have an appointment soon!

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know, it’s horrible! That’s the only thing I really struggle with so I’m hoping that the libre will make it a lot easier! How did you deal with exercise? I want to keep active, my job is rather active but I’d love to start running but I’m afraid that I’ll go into a hypo!

Thank you, that’s a great idea! I’ll give that a try as well! Let’s hope I have an appointment soon!
I personally build up any exercise I do a bit slowly if I haven't been used to that level of movement for a little while. I find if I do it gradually, as I'm building up my exercise my basal requirements go down, but bolus ratios stay the same in the longer term.

I'm afraid the easiest to avoid a hypo is to test test test. The Libre 2 alarms can be set at a level which suits you, so I set the low alarm to sound at a higher level when I'm exercising so I know to have some juice etc and avoid going officially hypo (below 4).

I haven't been as active in lockdown so when I started exercising again I first tried a few times after I'd eaten, and only took half my usual bolus for the meal. I used the libre to wait until my bloods had started rising a bit, I then scanned and was able to exercise until my blood was back to a better range. This worked well for about a week until I noticed my basal requirements had started decreasing. I then get to a point where my body is used to a certain level of exercise so I don't need to decrease my bolus any more. I've then been gradually increasing the exercise I've done.

I always have glucose tablets with me (at least) if I exercise away from the house. Longer stints exercising away from the house I'll also chuck in some different types of carbs so I can choose what I fancy depending on my levels and how much more exercise I am planning. Eg small carton of juice for proper hypo, cereal bar if I'm slowly dropping but don't need the instant sugar rush.

I won't correct for a high until I've been home for a bit/def stopped exercising (within reason). Depending on what exercise you do and how long for, it can cause your bloods to drop up to 48hrs later so be a bit aware if you eg. suddenly do a full day hike out of the blue for example. The libre has made it so so so much easier to catch hypos and the libre 2 even more so, such a game changer! I've always been more careful because I hate the hypo feeling so much, but you might find you don't need to be as cautious as me of course.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
New to the forum, had t1 diabetes for 10 years now, but I just can’t keep up with testing my sugars. Hoping to chat to some people who could give me idea to help me get in control again, for some reason I just can’t do it, I don’t know whether it’s because I feel if I don’t do itv maybe I don’t have diabetes, thinking about me having diabetes sometimes gets me down, I let it control me rather than the other way around, so talking to other people might help? Anyway, I’m Natasha, 21, and I’m new here!

welcome Natasha xx
you have most definitely come to the right place

all the things you are saying are how we all feel from time to time its a full time job that NO-ONE WANTS i don't want to check my blood !!! have i had enough insulin !!! i cant eat that my bloods are too high -or i don't want to eat that my bloods are too low

. how do you test do you have an app where you can follow where your bloods are at. i find if i can see it on my phone i feel more in control ? but what works for me may not be for you.
now i am more in control my mood is better too and its exactly what you said you need the control not the diabetes, not it you.
have you spoke to your diabetes team and told them how you are feeling ?

the carbs and cals app is a good one for watching what your eating and dosing your insulin. i think it deciding you can do this better once you decide that that a massive step.
i don't get it right all the time
nobody does no such thing as a perfect diabetic. but the fact youve come on here and asked the questions mean youve already decided to change things
good luck natasha

tracey xxxxx

Reactions: NatashaGray99