Advise On Bs Please

Fairy09

Morning all,

I'm only 6 weeks in to having T2 and you have helped me so much already.

I have another question about my bloods and wondered if anyone can help?

I've been recording my sugars before meals and 2 hours after but don't understand that the reading after dinner last night was 5.9 then before bed jumped to 6.7 and then should they not be lower after fasting at night as I woke up and they were 6.8.
Could it be anything to do with me being on Metformin slow release? I'm not sure how long it takes for them to start working.

Thanks in advance
Screenshot_20180718-092929_Sugar%20diary.jpg

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Well done, things are moving in the right direction. It is still early days for you and your BG levels will swing around a bit until the benefits of your diet really kick in. All sorts of things affect your readings. If you exercise you may find it lowers your BG, but it can raise it temporarily too. Your liver produces sugar in the mornings to get your body ready for the day. If you stick with the diet you should find a steady downward trend in BG, but the early morning readings may stay high for many months, so be patient.

Reactions: Prem51

Fairy09

Well done, things are moving in the right direction. It is still early days for you and your BG levels will swing around a bit until the benefits of your diet really kick in. All sorts of things affect your readings. If you exercise you may find it lowers your BG, but it can raise it temporarily too. Your liver produces sugar in the mornings to get your body ready for the day. If you stick with the diet you should find a steady downward trend in BG, but the early morning readings may stay high for many months, so be patient.
Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate your support.
I've basically gone from eating a lot of sugar and sugary drinks to zero sugar in drinks and only having foods that contain less than 5 grams of sugar per 100g.
I've managed to loose 1 stone 4lb in 5 weeks from diet alone as exercise is difficult for me due to having Fibromyalgia and CFS.

The first 2 weeks I lost most of the weight and since I've just lost 1-2lb a week which demoralizes me a bit.

I'm trying really hard and amazed myself that I have cut out most carbs. Apart from sugar free granola for breakfast I just have 3 new potatoes with my evening me. My Diabetic nurse has advised me to have 250g of carb a day but I only have 100-150g a day.

Would you suggest I try any different? My Sugar levels are pretty level either in 5's, 6's and 7's.

Thanks again x x

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate your support.
I've basically gone from eating a lot of sugar and sugary drinks to zero sugar in drinks and only having foods that contain less than 5 grams of sugar per 100g.
I've managed to loose 1 stone 4lb in 5 weeks from diet alone as exercise is difficult for me due to having Fibromyalgia and CFS.

The first 2 weeks I lost most of the weight and since I've just lost 1-2lb a week which demoralizes me a bit.

I'm trying really hard and amazed myself that I have cut out most carbs. Apart from sugar free granola for breakfast I just have 3 new potatoes with my evening me. My Diabetic nurse has advised me to have 250g of carb a day but I only have 100-150g a day.

Would you suggest I try any different? My Sugar levels are pretty level either in 5's, 6's and 7's.

Thanks again x x
Your BG levels are pretty much the same as mine and my last HBA1c was 40, so you are probably doing better than you realise. I rarely see 7's, so if you can keep in the 5's and 6's, you may be where you need to be.
I eat very little carbs, and never pasta, grains, rice, bread or potatoes. I don't measure my intake, but I would guess its 30-40 gm per day and all good carbs from veg, berries, nuts, seeds etc. I do a fair bit of exercise and I would advise you to do what you can. You don't need to go to the gym, just walk several times a day and tone up by lifting a can of baked beans 100 times a day (Don't eat the beans;)) Seriously, it's about keeping active. Your muscles burn sugar when they work.

Fairy09

Your BG levels are pretty much the same as mine and my last HBA1c was 40, so you are probably doing better than you realise. I rarely see 7's, so if you can keep in the 5's and 6's, you may be where you need to be.
I eat very little carbs, and never pasta, grains, rice, bread or potatoes. I don't measure my intake, but I would guess its 30-40 gm per day and all good carbs from veg, berries, nuts, seeds etc. I do a fair bit of exercise and I would advise you to do what you can. You don't need to go to the gym, just walk several times a day and tone up by lifting a can of baked beans 100 times a day (Don't eat the beans;)) Seriously, it's about keeping active. Your muscles burn sugar when they work.
That's sounds encouraging hearing your HBA1c 40. I started off being 107, 5 weeks ago and have my next 3 month test late Aug and my DN wants me to be down to 50.
Thank you for your advise and I shall definitely start walking my little dog again when it's not so hot for her to get some exercise and hopefully that will help bring my levels down.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Morning all,

I'm only 6 weeks in to having T2 and you have helped me so much already.

I have another question about my bloods and wondered if anyone can help?

I've been recording my sugars before meals and 2 hours after but don't understand that the reading after dinner last night was 5.9 then before bed jumped to 6.7 and then should they not be lower after fasting at night as I woke up and they were 6.8.
Could it be anything to do with me being on Metformin slow release? I'm not sure how long it takes for them to start working.

Thanks in advance View attachment 27629
Your figures are good. Don't worry about your reading going from 6.7 to 6.8 overnight. Blood glucose meters aren't 100% accurate. And fbgs are often the highest reading of the day due to many factors, including 'Dawn Phenomenon'.

Reactions: Alison Campbell