Type 2 Affect of Diet Coke on sugars

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So yesterday I went to a local pub and had burger and sweet potato chips and 2 1/2 pints of Diet Coke.
Figured my levels would be fairly high. Didn’t test with friends as felt a bit awkward and can’t remember exact time of eating as mix up with order, but tested about 2 or 2 1/2 hours after and got 6.3.

I did cut the grass at midday so whether the activity helped I don’t know.

I guess a beef burger with cheese in a bun other than the bun isn’t that high carb?
And the sweet potato fries are better than normal but still I was quite shocked at how low!!

What do you guys think?

D

Deleted Account

It’s hard to tell.
But your meal sounds pretty fatty. Fat slows down the absorption of carbs. So it may have been the cheese, fat from meat and oil the fries were cooked in rather than the Diet Coke which helped you.

Incidentally, some time back, I read about the effect of Diet Coke on people without diabetes: some of them are experiencing hypos. This is because the body is confused by the sweet taste of the coke so releases insulin but there are no carbs for the insulin. I don’t know the details. It may have been large amounts of Diet Coke without any food. But i found it slightly worrying.