After a blood test for something else I have just been told by text I have Pre-Diabetes.

BindiKett

I want to understand what's the first thing I do. I'm worried I maybe be eating the wrong thing and what is the right thing to eat. Do I now eat like a diabetic does. On the text it advised me that I could develop type 2 diabetes. Now I've recently been diagnosed with vertigo and have osteoarthritis on my ankles and my knees so can only walk for so long before they stiffen up. I can't do any more walking without resting first when that happens. I know I'm over weight, but that I believe is lack of exercise.

I'm not sure what to do first any pointers because right now I'm worried. I have been advised that I am going to be part of some Pre-Diabetic Programme. That's all I know. But what can I do in the mean time whilst I'm waiting for them to get in touch with me?

Please helping stressing out and my vertigo isn't helping... New UK based member, thank you in advance!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @BindiKett and welcome!

Finding out by text is certainly not ideal. The short answer to your question is yes, dealing with pre-diabetes is pretty much the same as dealing with full blown type 2. The best thing you can do is reduce the amount of carbohydrates in your diet. That’ll bring blood sugars down.

This website - https://www.dietdoctor.com/ - gives lots of information about the carb values of foods, recipes and food ideas. While there are paid plans available, you can get the information you need for free. It caters for all food preferences.

And stick around here - lots of friendly and knowledgeable people in the same situation who can help you.

Reactions: BindiKett

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try not to stress, prediabetes and diabetes type 2 take a long time to develop and the good news is that both can often be kept under control or even put into remission mostly by keeping to a low carb diet, but that too takes time and quite a bit of getting used to.
No rush, no panic, it's a marathon not a sprint.
At prediabetes levels you have time to learn, and there is a LOT to learn so just start reading around.
Expect some confusion, some errors, some misleading advice from some professionals along the way but you will get there.
Read around the forum and don't be afraid to ask. We all started somewhere, most of us in shock and dismay

Reactions: BindiKett

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There is plenty of help here, people who've reversed pre-diabetes and even put full T diabetes into remission by changing their diet.
In my case I can't exercise due to other conditions but by going low carb I put my diabetes into remission and lost weight - no calorie counting, no feeling hungry, just dropping my carbs.
Apart from other links you might want to look at the lowcarbprogram?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, welcome, and don't panic. You have arrived at the right place for all the help and advice you need. We are all diabetics of one sort or another and many of us have bought the t-shirt and put ourselves into remission in addition to losing shed loads of weight.

I doubt very much lack of exercise has caused your weight problems - basically you can't burn off a bad diet. One reason for gaining weight is an over production of insulin, and that is what the majority of Type 2s and pre-diabetics have. Too much insulin causes weight gain, which is why most Type 2s are overweight when first diagnosed. Eating far less carbs (starch and sugar) will lower your blood glucose levels meaning less insulin is needed. Weight loss will follow. Exercise is desirable for general health, but not necessary for weight loss. So please don't worry about that.

Have a good read round and ask questions.

Edited for superfluous word

Last edited: