After my first day at LCHF my readings are 10.3

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I've just used my last testing strip, 3 hrs after my meal and the reading was 10.3 This was my last strip until the postie comes hopefully on Wednesday.
Today I've eaten:
Breakfast: Greek yogurt with 6 rasps, followed by a boiled egg. Cup of tea (no sugar for the first time in the morning!)
Lunch: A small amount of mozzarella , slice of parma ham, small amount of smoked salmon, 4 baby tomatoes, 1 spring onion and mixed lettuce leaves. Glass of water.

Lunch: Roast venison, broccoli, asparagus, spinach and a small amount of 'gravy' made from stock, port, star anaise and lots of butter. I had 1 tsp of the pudding rice to taste it. I know I shouldn't have, but every Easter my sil makes a wonderful rice pudding with full cream milk, cream and butter (I didn't have any sultanas that were in it!). Cup of black tea x 2 (again no sugar)

I resisted the bowl of mini chocolate eggs, chocolate bunnies, chocolate chicks and broken up chocolate! A week or more ago I would have been sneaking chocolate at every chance!

Am I expecting my sugar levels to lower too quickly?

Thanks

Beryl

Reactions: 6 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Yep! It can take a while Beryl, maybe a week, ten days to start seeing numbers come down. Don't be discouraged, it might be gradual, but it will happen.

Reactions: 3 people

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Yep! It can take a while Beryl, maybe a week, ten days to start seeing numbers come down. Don't be discouraged, it might be gradual, but it will happen.

Thanks ladybird (love your colour by the way!). I'll try to be patient! Imagine starting being good at Easter! Feeding my husband the left over Hot Cross Buns, I had one on Good Friday, they were only made on GF in the olden days! So I'll have a whole year to wait for my HXB treat!

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'd say be patient - but a great start @berylc all good choices - like the sound of roast venison
We had a whole roe deer, minus head and innards, as a Christmas gift 16 months ago from our son who knows a gamekeeper. Husband and son had to hang it in the garage, skin it and chop it up! We gave a large piece to daughter and husband and they found it at the bottom of their freezer on Friday! It was right good!

Reactions: 4 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow @berylc just as a heads up, 10 weeks on LCHF saw my HbA1c drop from 9.9 to 6.7 - keep going for a few weeks and you'll see a change I'm sure

Reactions: 2 people

GordonMcLean

Wow @berylc just as a heads up, 10 weeks on LCHF saw my HbA1c drop from 9.9 to 6.7 - keep going for a few weeks and you'll see a change I'm sure

Did you also almost completely cut out carbs?
The OPers menu sounded great for maybe a few carb free days but I think I'd be clawing the walls of it was a daily occurrence !

I'm type 1 by the way

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The OPers menu sounded great for maybe a few carb free days but I think I'd be clawing the walls of it was a daily occurrence !

I'm type 1 by the way

I don't (didn't!) eat many potatoes (unless roasted) so don't miss them. Bread was a sandwich some lunch breaks and a slice of toast at supper time. Pasta and rice twice a week. Time will tell how I feel! Let's hope withdrawal isn't too bad :)

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation

I'm type 1 by the way

Ya m8 same I credit people on the low low!! carb diet,I'm around the 100 to 150 a day and would find it very difficult to lower that :)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
We can't cover any "indulgences" with insulin though folks. Different strokes and all that, and different degrees of low carbing, but it's really the most effective way (usually) for us to get the bg's down quickly.
Funnily enough, maybe climbing the walls for a few days, then it switches off. The carby stuff really messes the appetite, satiety (false!!) and cravings. It has to be tried to be believed.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm type 1 by the way
Strangely once you get out of the carb habit its pretty easy because the fat levels keep you full so you don't get cravings for snacks, or at least that' how its worked for me. I used to be a real snacker but can now go for a day or two without eating at all and still don't get too many cravings. Never have breakfast any more just lunch and or dinner.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Strangely once you get out of the carb habit its pretty easy because the fat levels keep you full so you don't get cravings for snacks, or at least that' how its worked for me. I used to be a real snacker but can now go for a day or two without eating at all and still don't get too many cravings. Never have breakfast any more just lunch and or dinner.

I must admit that I'm not raiding the cupboards for snacks now, even after a long walk with the dog. My readings when I came home from work (no testing strips left until I went to the local chemist shop after work) were 10.5 Then 2 hrs after tea and a walk with the dog it's down to 9.8 Not a big jump. but in the right direction :)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@berylc small steps and all that, you are heading in the right direction and that must feel good ..?

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@berylc small steps and all that, you are heading in the right direction and that must feel good ..?
It feels fantastic! I'm off just now to make up lunch for tomorrow to take to work. Brie and ham I think :) Along with raspberries (6), greek yogurt and cream to share between breaktime snack and lunchtime pudding :) It feels good to take control and hopefully never take those ......... metformin again!

ekundayo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
bad food
well got to start somewhere - just done BG and 19.9 - not feeling good - so lunch steak and salad - cheese soufflé with more salad - did not take insulin thought carbs free meal - maybe fooling myself - need ot get into habit of being sure there is no carbs - looking forward to getting better control - ekundayo

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ya m8 same I credit people on the low low!! carb diet,I'm around the 100 to 150 a day and would find it very difficult to lower that :)
I've found I'm best eating around 30-40g carbs a day (mainly veggies, berries and nuts). But I eat pretty well on this and for me it's no imposition. :D It depends on what you can reasonably manage and keep to long term and I reckon doing that's far more important and better in the long run than aiming too low and falling off the wagon all the time.

Robbity

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Last reading yesterday at about 8pm was 9.8 Nothing else to eat, but a small glass of coconut water and my readings on rising were 12 I know it's high, but do BG readings normally go up over night for everyone? Just had 1 duck and one hen egg scrambled for breakfast (6.15 am - Early 7am start for work today) and a cup of black tea. Will try and test 1 and 2 hrs later, but working as a carer in a care home for the elderly I don't often get time to test, so my next test might be at 10am (or whenever I can get my tea break). Lunch will be either 11.30 or 12noon.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
BG 9.5 at 9.30 am. Just on tea break and tucking into 3 raspberries, Greek yogurt and cream. Test again at my next break at 12 noon.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good stuff Beryl. The rise in the morning is called dawn phenomenon, and happens to most of us. My suggestion would be to forget the fasting bg, and concentrate on two hours after meals. Personally, I would check after lunch and dinner, rather than breakfast - but that's just me:D

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
I don't (didn't!) eat many potatoes (unless roasted) so don't miss them. Bread was a sandwich some lunch breaks and a slice of toast at supper time. Pasta and rice twice a week. Time will tell how I feel! Let's hope withdrawal isn't too bad :)
I dont know how you manage to eat bread, rice potato and pasta on low carb diet. I dont touch that ever and count everything. He he he!