After pregnancy glucose levels and insulin

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Sorry to be back again with questions so soon but I know your all experts.

I am now a week after giving birth to my son and my glucose level / insulin needs are changing daily. I have went from 10 units glargine and around 1 unit /10g for all meals to 5 units glargine and 0.8 units / 10g. I have lowered it due to hypos, nothing too worrying but lots of them. I then forgot my glargine last night so through this better leave it for the day rather than upset my timings. Well today I had multiple hypos still and I even ate things like a cake and hot chocolate at a Christmas event without injecting anything and I still hypoed 3 hours later even though I had absolutely no insulin on board. Then with tea, just 45 mins after eating and injecting I was at 4.3 and then 45 mins later a 3.3 hypo. I am breastfeeding and my little one is quite hungry so I know this will be pulling my levels down.

My question is, should I leave all my back ground insulin, glargine at 0 as the breastfeeding seems to be doing the job of that and then take no fast acting when I eat? Test regularly for the day and see how my levels do? My husband is worried sick as I am not really recognising the hypos like I normally do.

Also has anyone else gone to needing no insulin at all after birth? I am still newly diagnosed so probably honeymooning too so maybe it's not normal?

Thanks for your help

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Catherine4188 hello and congratulations :)

I am not sure how long have you been diagnosed ? Unfortunately hormones can play havoc after the baby has arrived so it’s not surprising your insulin needs have changed so much and then coupled with breast feeding too.. it’s hard when you want to focus on baby, as soon as Christmas is over I would recommend speaking to your DSN and seeing if they can loan you a CGM as your hypo awareness is going, you need some extra support with this, otherwise it’s regular testing. I had gestational when I carried my daughter so my Diabetes disappeared after birth but came back 4 years later as sudden onset t1 so can’t advise about insulin needs after birth, however I do know hormones and breastfeeding feeding can impact so heavily on insulin needs, do take care and try to relax and enjoy Christmas with your new arrival, best wishes J

Reactions: Catherine4188

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I decided to stop breastfeeding at 8 weeks part because I had so many hypos it was stressfull for everybody (the worry for my partner) and also had to have a break while taking medicine that was not ok to mix with it.When I was supposed to go back to it after the break it worked so well with the bottles that it felt right.We used one for sensitive to milk protein babies.The other one did not work very well.This way I got some sleep too as dad stepped in with the feeding.She is doing very well and is now 5 years old.It is a tricky topic and I support breastfeeding and its benefits.However some times it is not worth it and takes more than it gives.I hope you find out how to manage your insulin.But yes, you loose so much energy/ glucose through it you need much less insulin.

livi2006

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Girls sorry to ask use but I'm curious about the Breast feeding I'm currently 25 eeeks preg with my 1st baby I've found from about 23 weeks my doses of insulin have upped from
11 till 22 morning
14 up to 28 lunch
18 up to 35 at tea
Lantus 32 evening

I'm in novo rapid an I'm not really intrested in breast feeding as I want to be able to let my husband help out an I work for myself an want to return to work for at least 1 day at about 6 weeks.. do u think my insulin requirements will reduce when baby is born is it normal to rise
The midwifes r very pushy for feeding myself but I just find pros & cons to it an the more they force the more it digging my heals in

Anna17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Girls sorry to ask use but I'm curious about the Breast feeding I'm currently 25 eeeks preg with my 1st baby I've found from about 23 weeks my doses of insulin have upped from
11 till 22 morning
14 up to 28 lunch
18 up to 35 at tea
Lantus 32 evening

I'm in novo rapid an I'm not really intrested in breast feeding as I want to be able to let my husband help out an I work for myself an want to return to work for at least 1 day at about 6 weeks.. do u think my insulin requirements will reduce when baby is born is it normal to rise
The midwifes r very pushy for feeding myself but I just find pros & cons to it an the more they force the more it digging my heals in

Hi Livvi,
After both my children the instructions from my doctor were to automatically go back to me pre pregnancy dosage and then reduce from there to accommodate hormone changes and breastfeeding. You will definitely need to reduce your insulin after the birth. All the best.

Reactions: livi2006

livi2006

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Livvi,
After both my children the instructions from my doctor were to automatically go back to me pre pregnancy dosage and then reduce from there to accommodate hormone changes and breastfeeding. You will definitely need to reduce your insulin after the birth. All the best.

Thanks so much for your comment I feel more at ease xx