Agave Nectar/Syrup - good or bad?

DamePeggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a T2 "Newbie", I read somewhere that Agave Nectar [or Syrup] is fine for diabetics - it has a very low GI.

I've used it to add sweetness to porridge or natural yoghurts, etc - tastes delicious...just like adding honey or Golden Syrup in the "old" days!

Now I've seen other references which suggest it is not so good for us!

Confusion reigns! Anyone else tried it? Any thoughts or advice appreciated! :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Have you tested after eating it? THAT is the key :)

DamePeggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tested after eating it? THAT is the key :)
Ah, that's the problem - I'm "diet only" at present and not testing.

My DS Nurse seems to favour not testing until the blood test 3-months from diagnosis.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Well that is a mistake IMO. You've been diagnosed, yes? What were your figures if I may ask?

You should be testing yourself with a meter more or less immediately. I wouldn't be waiting 3 months if I had no idea what my blood sugars were in the preceding 90 day period. That is all predicated on your numbers of course and the rest of your daily diet.

Let us know would you?

Mike :)

DamePeggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Mike...

HBA1C was 9.9% [85] at diagnosis just after Christmas, weight 95kgs

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi DP :)

Those figures are not so good (seen worse mind you (a LOT worse) but you CAN reverse them). What do you eat during a normal day?

This might be a wake up call (please take it the right way) but you probably need to lose weight, start some daily exercise, get a meter and get those blood sugars down by way of diet. Nectar is the LAST thing you need

Your nurse (if I can put it kindly) is giving you VERY bad advice. You must start testing, follow a good diet, get rid of those excess pounds and track your sugars.

Mike

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
As a follow up to that last message DP, I don't doubt that your DN thinks 3 months will be fine to do a second test but that is predicated on you following the advice she (may or may not) have provided you.

Do you have high blood pressure, are your cholesterols OK, are you on any meds for any other condition?

You need to jump on this and there are plenty of people to help

Mike

DamePeggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi DP :)

Those figures are not so good (seen worse mind you (a LOT worse) but you CAN reverse them). What do you eat during a normal day?

This might be a wake up call (please take it the right way) but you probably need to lose weight, start some daily exercise, get a meter and get those blood sugars down by way of diet. Nectar is the LAST thing you need

Your nurse (if I can put it kindly) is giving you VERY bad advice. You must start testing, follow a good diet, get rid of those excess pounds and track your sugars.

Mike
Thanks for your concern and advice Mike - already on the case with regard to exercise, weight loss and major overhaul of diet to reduce blood sugars...have had loads of help from Healthcare Team in all these areas [and gained a lot from people on here] but it seems that my particular GP's Surgery don't encourage self-testing unless they consider it a medical need.

I'm taking note of your comments though...think I'll be looking into getting a Meter soon! :)

DamePeggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a follow up to that last message DP, I don't doubt that your DN thinks 3 months will be fine to do a second test but that is predicated on you following the advice she (may or may not) have provided you.

Do you have high blood pressure, are your cholesterols OK, are you on any meds for any other condition?

You need to jump on this and there are plenty of people to help

Mike
Again, I appreciate your help - as I said in previous post, I am already following the advice received/gained and definitely feeling better for all the changes made so am sure I'm on the right track!

Blood pressure and cholesterol checked last week and both fine, though I can't remember the numbers involved! I'm not on any other meds either. :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
DP

What advice did they give you in relation to your diet? Go get that meter too :) Eating properly and getting those figures down before the 3 month test will do you wonders

Mike