Age related brain deterioration

M

Member496333

This explains why I am getting smarter and smarter with every sunrise. Seriously. My cognitive function has improved massively since adopting ketogenic eating. Never had clearer and more focussed powers of thought and reason.

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
I noticed at the end of the article they mentioned whole grains - I guess the media finds it hard to give up carbs too? :D

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I noticed at the end of the article they mentioned whole grains - I guess the media finds it hard to give up carbs too? :D

Yes, but the media are like wholegrains.... non-essential. :D

Love how the UK, Alzheimer's research (Last paragraph) still think fat is bad, but lots of whole grains are somehow good. I guess some still have their head buried in the sand.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
By serendipity, watched a new talk by Dr Tommy Wood at TheIHMC Evening Lecture series yesterday on the subject of brain health throughout life:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For anyone interested in health, cognition, etc., you'd be hard pressed to find a better resource for science based information than the IHMC (Institute for Human & Machine Cognition) Youtube Channel. As well as the Evening Lecture Series they host regularly, they also produce the STEM-Talk Podcast. It's well worth going back through their archive for talks of interest on a wide range of subjects. It's the highlight of my nerdy day when a new lecture or podcast is posted :D

TheIHMC Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheIHMC/videos

STEM-Talk Podcast: https://www.ihmc.us/stemtalks/

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
This explains why I am getting smarter and smarter with every sunrise. Seriously. My cognitive function has improved massively since adopting ketogenic eating. Never had clearer and more focussed powers of thought and reason.

For me, one interesting aspect is the way many T1's report feeling at diagnosis.

Glucose levels often up at 30mmol, cannot concentrate, sensations of brain fog etc. Is this some kind of temporary glucose induced dementia?

M

Member496333

For me, one interesting aspect is the way many T1's report feeling at diagnosis.

Glucose levels often up at 30mmol, cannot concentrate, sensations of brain fog etc. Is this some kind of temporary glucose induced dementia?

My job entails complex problem solving, often under extreme pressure to perform to a very high standard with strict time constraints. I know that in the couple of years prior to my diagnosis I was becoming less and less confident in my abilities. Double checking simple things. Doubting myself, unable to logically prioritise tasks and rationally analyse the results of my own work. I was beginning to feel like my experience level was diminishing rather than increasing.

Looking back, I have no doubt that this was all because my brain had been pickling in a bath of glucose for several years. Running on ketones, I'm now really smart again, which is nice :angelic:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With a family history of Alzheimers in the family, this is a subject that I have been following.

There is a growing argument that the progression of Alzheimers can be halted and cognitive function even improved by the use of a highly nutritious ketogenic diet, combined with a number of lifestyle changes (e.g. puzzles, mental challenges and physical exercise and specific supplements).

I consider it most unfortunate that the UK Alzheimers Society are still regurgitating the standard soundbites and not supporting anything that could give their members and their members' families hope.

Anyone wishing to read more about treating Alzheimers with a ketogenic diet can do so by reading Amy Berger's book on the subject, and look into Dr Dale Bredesen's book The End of Alzheimers. He has been treating patients in this way for a good few years, but gets no support from orthodox medical thinking.

Since Alzheimers and other forms of brain fog, memory problems and Dementia's are more prevalent amongst people with diabetes than in the wider population, I would suggest it is a subject that many members on this forum may find interesting. Especially if they have a family history of Dementia.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, simply changing to a low carb diet certainly shifted my longish term brain fog - which in retrospect happened not only with old age (which was my original belief) but with a dramatic increase in carbohydrate consumption due to husband's preference for high carb foods in his shopping and cooking choices. Being diagnosed with T2 and going low carb as a result was the best thing that's happened to me brain function-wise.

One of my earlier sources of enlightenment regarding my return from zombie status was an article I saw in passing which mentioned that our brains could (also) be affected by insulin resistance.