Age when diagnosed

Nadia19

i was 18 when I was diagnosed 1 month before my 19th birthday, I am type 1. it came suddenly the day I came back from Florida US.I am now 21 so I have had it 2 years and 4 months, and in that time I have had my daughter. I was wondering if there is anyone else like me who has not long been diagnosed, if anyone has went through a pregnancy and how people cope with it being constant. Thanks Nadia.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed 8 months ago at age 35. I’d already had my 4 kids so I don’t expect to have the challenge of T1 & pregnancy.

How do I cope with it being so constant? I’m not 100% sure but it’s become natural, it’s probably how I coped with having 4 kids with 3 very close together. Never quite knew how I did it, just that I did.

In practical terms I know what my body can cope with right now, I choose to eat low carb half the day so I don’t bolus whilst busy home schooling & I self fund a libra to remove most of the time it takes to test. I’m also very aware that this works today, but it might not tomorrow so I need to be adaptable.

I can imagine you have your hands full with T1 & a young daughter

Nadia19

Thanks for your reply, I was diagnosed in the October and was pregnant 8 months later. My daughter will be 1 at the end of March. She keeps me motivated and gives me a purpose to fully look after my diabetes properly, being a young mum puts things into perspective. I eat mostly everything I just need to adjust my insulin as needed, I haven’t seen a diabetic nurse since last March when I had my daughter, because of covid. When I was pregnant I was at my clinic twice a week and I had some scares. Do you have any favourite things you like to eat in your low carbs? I would be interested in knowing some new and things, being in all the time I eat a lot of the same foods. Thanks Nadia

Nadia19

That’s really a great thing to read. I hope your well, I had all the symptoms. The frequent toilet, excessive thirst , it was horrible. I was in hospital for 5 days.

derivadow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s really a great thing to read. I hope your well, I had all the symptoms. The frequent toilet, excessive thirst , it was horrible. I was in hospital for 5 days.

It was horrible and avoiding another DKA is very high up my todo list!

I think what struck me was how surprised the GP et al. were—until they saw my ketones everyone assume it was something else, then T2D.

Wing Michael

I was diagnosed in January 1979 at the age of 17 with type 1 diabetes - no real surprise there! I have always kept extremely tight control and currently have no complications whatsoever. Added to that, I workout almost every day, and think nothing of running 10km for fun!

Reactions: Jollymon