Aint no cure for Dah-bee-tus

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was about to say "I wish Brian Blessed had diabetes" then I realised I was wishing illness on someone!

I think Christopher Biggins would be fun! I don't know how he'd pronounce 'diabetes', but I'm pretty he sure he'd be giggling as he said it!

He also has a link to porridge however ... but at least this time he's not eating it, he's acting in the old tv series! That's got to be the healthier option :)
If Brian Blessed had it, it would be perfectly pronounced in the style of a (very loud) Shakespearean thespian. Probably with added f words...

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If Brian Blessed had it, it would be perfectly pronounced in the style of a (very loud) Shakespearean thespian. Probably with added f words...

Haha!

Funnily enough I heard Brian Blessed recently say something like "I burn 12,000 calories a day. The Blessed combustion engine needs carbohydrates!" so I'm not sure he's the man for the job, much as I'd love him to be!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Haha!

Funnily enough I heard Brian Blessed recently say something like "I burn 12,000 calories a day. The Blessed combustion engine needs carbohydrates!" so I'm not sure he's the man for the job, much as I'd love him to be!
BB is an absolute legend. Did you see him on Russel Howard? Vid contains some swearing, so not for the easily offended.

Reactions: AdamJames

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BB is an absolute legend. Did you see him on Russel Howard? Vid contains some swearing, so not for the easily offended.

Yes I caught that one!

I saw him in the (very loud and shouty) flesh recently on his tour. Based on his general attitude towards life, I suspect that if he was ever told he had diabeetus, he would cure it instantly by refusing to acknowledge it. Either that or he'd shout it down.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've enjoyed this thread on dahbeetus, so imagine my delighted surprise when watching the new season 10 (20 years later) of Roseanne on the tele, I heard, quite clearly 'diabeetus' come out of her wonderfully raucous and funny mouth.

As below:

Roseanne: I’m serious – you’ve got to make your kids pick up.
Darlene: She sells used clothes. Apparently it’s cool to look poor now.
Roseanne – Yeah, It’s all fun and games until you’re re-using your 'diahbeetes' needles!

And after a quick google-bio search discovered both Roseanne and Wilford are from Utah originally.

So there - you are - diah/dah-bee-tus is a Utah-rian pronunciation.

About diabetes being a poor person's disease - hmmmmm. The writers probably meant well? We hope? (Trying to say something about poor quality cheap food being sugar-high?) But meaning is always more pertinent than mere dialect pronunciation differences, isn't it? Like we should all eat carbs for breakfast, and type two is about poverty. Hmmmm.

John Goodman, playing Dan Conner, Roseanne's husband, btw, in his own words had "crossed over to the diabetic side" (https://www.menshealth.com/weight-loss/a19541158/john-goodman-weight-loss-0/)

I strongly doubt he is poor! But hey!

Just saying.

(And I want to say 'dahbeetus' now too!)

Hotpepper20000

I've enjoyed this thread on dahbeetus, so imagine my delighted surprise when watching the new season 10 (20 years later) of Roseanne on the tele, I heard, quite clearly 'diabeetus' come out of her wonderfully raucous and funny mouth.

As below:

Roseanne: I’m serious – you’ve got to make your kids pick up.
Darlene: She sells used clothes. Apparently it’s cool to look poor now.
Roseanne – Yeah, It’s all fun and games until you’re re-using your 'diahbeetes' needles!

And after a quick google-bio search discovered both Roseanne and Wilford are from Utah originally.

So there - you are - diah/dah-bee-tus is a Utah-rian pronunciation.

About diabetes being a poor person's disease - hmmmmm. The writers probably meant well? We hope? (Trying to say something about poor quality cheap food being sugar-high?) But meaning is always more pertinent than mere dialect pronunciation differences, isn't it? Like we should all eat carbs for breakfast, and type two is about poverty. Hmmmm.

John Goodman, playing Dan Conner, Roseanne's husband, btw, in his own words had "crossed over to the diabetic side" (https://www.menshealth.com/weight-loss/a19541158/john-goodman-weight-loss-0/)

I strongly doubt he is poor! But hey!

Just saying.

(And I want to say 'dahbeetus' now too!)

I think the reference to being poor was more about having to reuse the needles and lack of access to medical care then about having the disease because they are poor.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well yes @Hotpepper20000, granted the joke about having to reuse the needles and costly medical care was the point, but I just assumed the choice of disease being dahbeetus for poor folks was intentional.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding

Superb 7 minutes of crying! Thanks for the alert

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi, How did you manage to watch it? I live in Carmarthenshire and it says its blocked due to copyright in this country.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi, How did you manage to watch it? I live in Carmarthenshire and it says its blocked due to copyright in this country.
I typed in Russell Howard Brian Blessed and like you found an Avalon copyright block. Managed to see the one on Daily Motion 7:22. Good luck! It's worth the effort.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Aint no cure for Dah-bee-tus"

But I hope we're not going to let dat der dah bee tus beat us?

Robbity

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh! That’s new. It worked when I posted it. Sorry guys :(

Don't worry!

Our forum rules on offensive language would mean that if there was a direct link to all that swearing, I would have had to take down the link.

On the other hand, if people want to hunt out the video under their own steam, then they can. :D

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
It's clearly pronounced diabettis.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I typed in Russell Howard Brian Blessed and like you found an Avalon copyright block. Managed to see the one on Daily Motion 7:22. Good luck! It's worth the effort.
Thanks, just watched it, very funny.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's clearly pronounced diabettis.

Very funny. AND very awful! (Straight on to insulin? For type two? Cor!) (AND awful that they have to doc calling it the now defunct "adult onset diabetes". Even in a funny!)

But diabettis is mighty cute. I'll stick with the Utah variant though :happy: