Air travel with medication

WasntMe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Fortunately until now I have never needed to travel with medication. Do airport security/border control agents require me to produce any kind of documentation proving that the drugs are required by me? I don’t imagine that they are controlled substances since my current country of residence (Japan) is ultra conservative about meds.

If so, what form should this proof take? The doctor’s prescription is a) in Japanese b) passed to the dispensing chemist and I don’t think we can get a copy of it.

My case this would be

Loxoprofen 180mg/day

Rebamipide 300mg/day

Nexium 20 20mg/day

Xarelto 15mg/day

Metformin 750mg/day

Insulin 6 units/day

For about 2 months.

I would like to fly direct to the UK but it is possible that there will be a stopover in Frankfurt. Haven’t booked the flights yet.

cheers!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fortunately until now I have never needed to travel with medication. Do airport security/border control agents require me to produce any kind of documentation proving that the drugs are required by me? I don’t imagine that they are controlled substances since my current country of residence (Japan) is ultra conservative about meds.

If so, what form should this proof take? The doctor’s prescription is a) in Japanese b) passed to the dispensing chemist and I don’t think we can get a copy of it.

My case this would be

Loxoprofen 180mg/day

Rebamipide 300mg/day

Nexium 20 20mg/day

Xarelto 15mg/day

Metformin 750mg/day

Insulin 6 units/day

For about 2 months.

I would like to fly direct to the UK but it is possible that there will be a stopover in Frankfurt. Haven’t booked the flights yet.

cheers!

It will depend upon the rules of the country you are flying to and any that you may transit through during the journey. There should be details displayed on embassy/consulate websites alongside other entry requirements such as visas/immunisations required. It’s always worth checking as some countries have pretty draconian rules even for regular over the counter meds such as paracetamol. And always carry all your prescription meds in your hand luggage and take extra supplies.

These are the UK regulations: https://www.gov.uk/travelling-controlled-drugs

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,

My case this would be

Loxoprofen 180mg/day

Rebamipide 300mg/day

Nexium 20 20mg/day

Xarelto 15mg/day

Metformin 750mg/day

Insulin 6 units/day

For about 2 months.

cheers!

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I flew out of Tokyo airport with Japan airlines two years ago and even though I do have a letter from my Dr saying I need to take needles etc on board they never asked to see it and when I told them I had insulin with me the asked me if I would like to put it in the aircraft fridge , They seemed pretty keen to help .

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Non-pandemic, I am a frequent flyer and always take insulin with me.
I have always been told to ensure I have a letter from my doctor explaining that I need to keep it (and the needles) with me at all times. It has been very rare that I have been asked to produce this letter but I have and, given the alternative could be a refusal to fly, I always keep the letter with my passport.

My letter is generic so I can reuse it (it getting a bit scruffy now) and was provided by my endo - GPs often charge for it.

I have flown throughout Europe, US and some Asian countries and been questioned in US and Europe (never Asia but that may be coincidence).

On the plus side, I do get to have a little frisson of (slightly evil fun when I check in.
Check-in desk: "Do you have any sharp items in your luggage?"
Me: "Yes"
C-iD: (look of panic, unsure what to say next)
Me: (silence)
CiD: (panicked look continues)
Me: "I have diabetes"
CiD: (look of relief) "No problem, that's fine, Tell the boarding crew as you get on the flight."

To be honest, I used to tell the boarding crew and they would look at me blankly so I stopped telling them. It's not any of their business and I would prefer to keep everything with me.

A couple of other points about flying with insulin
- ALWAYS keep you insulin in your hand luggage. Your checked in luggage may go awry and it may reach low temperatures in the hold which can damage insulin. My preference is to not put it in the plane fridge as I am likely to forget it. I want it with me.
- Do not leave hypo treatments in the overhead locker. From personal experience I can tell you it is embarrassing (and potentially dangerous) having to get up to treat a hypo when the seat belt signs are on.

Reactions: KK123