Alcohol and Type2

Emmerdale

Good Morning still not understanding alcohol and Type2 is it better to drink red wine or white wine i know perhaps you shouldnt drink but life is short??

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Red wine is better - it has less carbs than white wine. It contains polyphenol and resveratrol compounds. A lot of people find, from testing, that red wine can even reduce their levels. :)

dib

Clear spirits with diet mixers, red wine and dry white wine are all ok for me, though obviously too much could lead to a hypo. Enjoy in moderation!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Emerdale, as you are diet only an occasional drink should not present any problems and as daisy has said red wine is a good choice if taken in moderation.

Alcohol is more dangerous for diabetics who use insulin or other hypo inducing meds as the liver deals with removing toxins from the blood and alcohol is a toxin While the liver is dealing with the alcohol it does not regulate the release of glucose so if a diabetics blood glucose drops low then they are more at risk of a serious hypo as their liver will not be able to release glucose to raise their blood glucose levels.

I believe that the liver can clean in the region of one unit of alcohol per hour so it is easy to see how long it will be out of action for if you are drinking all night :p To help stabilise blood glucose levels overnight after a night out it is a good idea to eat a carby snack before bed to help keep levels up till morning.

T2's on metformin or diet only are much less likely to suffer a hypoglycaemic event but it is worth bearing the above in mind before embarking on a night out with the boys, or girls :D A few bar snacks, crisps etc will help to keep levels up, I was told when I was on insulin that a slice of pizza on the way home was a good practice due to its slow release of carbs.

Thankfully I can no longer drink like I used to as I cant handle the hangovers any more but I do enjoy a glass or two of red wine of an evening or a glass of Cobra lager if I eat a curry.