Alcohol Sugar?

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
I'm new with diabetes and had a question about sugar free candy. I bought some chocolate that was sugar free and tasted great but I noticed that it effects my BS.

I thought that sugar free meant sugar free but that does not seem to be the case.

so my question is, is Alcohol sugar really sugar free? and if not why is there not a disclaimer or warning for people that are Diabetes?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Was it called "Maltitol" per chance?

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe it breaks down so is not carb free. A better sugar alcohol is erythritol. It does not spike has no calories and little or no laxative effect. Can be used to cook.

Reactions: Ultramum

scottw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It depends on what its sweetened with. Things like; Splenda, Sweet-n-Low, and aspatame go through our systems molecularly unchanged. we do not metabolize them. They don't effect blood sugar. I now use stevia now in coffee,tea, which is a naturally sweet plant extract. It does not change my blood sugar.
If you eat things with manitol and sorbitol however they are alcohol based and they do ultimately get metabolized as sugars but it takes many hours. In small amounts (1-2 pieces, once or twice in a day) they have not effected my blood sugar. I would imagine that if you always had one in your mouth constantly it would raise bG. So like everything else - moderation is key.. I'm a T1D for 37yrs w/ no long term complications and good control

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
It depends on what its sweetened with. Things like; Splenda, Sweet-n-Low, and aspatame go through our systems molecularly unchanged. we do not metabolize them. They don't effect blood sugar. I now use stevia now in coffee,tea, which is a naturally sweet plant extract. It does not change my blood sugar.
If you eat things with manitol and sorbitol however they are alcohol based and they do ultimately get metabolized as sugars but it takes many hours. In small amounts (1-2 pieces, once or twice in a day) they have not effected my blood sugar. I would imagine that if you always had one in your mouth constantly it would raise bG. So like everything else - moderation is key.. I'm a T1D for 37yrs w/ no long term complications and good control
Thanks, I don't have chocolate that much so not that big of a deal.

any suggestions for hard candy, that's what I really like.

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
Glucose is the only type of sugar the cells in the body use for energy. There are many other types and, some labeled sugar alcohol, aren't even considered sugar. This helps the food manufacture to claim their product is lower in sugar when the ingredients have an effect on your blood sugar. Fructose, maltose, sucrose, etc., etc. and alcohol sugars can be converted to glucose and thereby raise blood glucose levels but it takes time to convert. The liver does a lot of this conversion.

I've seen products with several kinds of sugars labeled sugar free or low sugar. Right now I'm sucking on a Riccola LemonMint cough drop that is "sugar free". The ingredients aren't on the individual wrapper but it's on their website: "Per drop: 8 kcal, carbohydrate 5.2g, sugars 0g, sugar alcohols 3.5g". There are some sugar alcohols don't raise blood sugar but do work as a sweetener.

I have Weather's and they use Acesulfame as a sweetener is that ok? they are really good!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
YES, is that bad?

Hi,

I read your intitial post & did a little looking about the web. I know very little on this subject, but followed the "white rabbit."

There could be other contributory factors that raised your blood, but what I found on Maltitol was interesting.
I believe it acts like it possibly has half the carb content of sugar but releases what it has slower...?? (If that makes any sense?)

I found these. https://authoritynutrition.com/sugar-alcohols-good-or-bad/
https://www.verywell.com/maltitol-just-say-no-2242220

Hope this helps?!

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
Hi,

I read your intitial post & did a little looking about the web. I know very little on this subject, but followed the "white rabbit."

There could be other contributory factors that raised your blood, but what I found on Maltitol was interesting.
I believe it acts like it possibly has half the carb content of sugar but releases what it has slower...?? (If that makes any sense?)

I found these. https://authoritynutrition.com/sugar-alcohols-good-or-bad/
https://www.verywell.com/maltitol-just-say-no-2242220

Hope this helps?!
Thanks!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

No problem.. I don't do chocolate myself. But look in the low carb section? Some of of the guys like a little treat of the "Green & Blacks" I believe...

You may get lucky & find it more agreeable with the BS.?