Alcohol

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Gosh this post was great. I’m going on a mission to test red wine Malbec and Baileys. Hic!!
Don't drink Bailey's, it's full of sugar and so are cocktails. Red is great

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Reactions: wendy22

finzi1966

Wow, interesting to see how high sugar/carb those Baileys/White Russian type drinks are. I’ve just come back from a cruise and I was having 2 or 3 of those every day and they didn’t affect my blood sugar at all. I’m assuming this must be the alcohol in them counteracting the carbs? (My favourite was chocolate martini - 1 shot vodka, 1 shot creme de cacao, 1 shot Kalhua).

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
Miniature bottle of brandy, or whisky (don't buy the bigger bottles I would only be tempted to drink it all)
Some cream, double or single
A little dissolved instant coffee

Then mix and drink to wait for the next one.

• Funny
Reactions: Lainie71

JustLucky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I drink occasionally. Beer, wine or spirits, don't like being drunk so drink moderately.
My main problem with alcohol is that it messes up my stomach afterwards. In the old days (without T1), I'd eat before sleep after drinking. But now with T1 I don't like injecting insulin shortly before sleep. So often cannot sleep after drinking a beer or 2 in the evening. I just feel I need to eat something involving bread. Maybe a kebab... :angelic:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't drink Bailey's, it's full of sugar and so are cocktails. Red is great
Not all cocktails are full of sugar.
For example, martini is low carb As is Long Island Ice Tea made with diet coke.

Cropmeister

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree, diabetics don't need to stop living! I find spirits in general don't affect my BG as long as you use diet mixers. Champagne is good for all the reasons!
Dry white wine has the least carbs of the wine category. Beer and cider, not so good, but you can adjust with insulin once you know how your body reacts.
Hard sticking to the government guidelines of 3 to 4 units a day, whether you are diabetic or not!
Have a 'Merry' Christmas!!!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have trouble sticking to the 14 units a week UK rtecommendations, you can always use the guidance from other European countries. We set a unit at 8g alcohol: most other countries use 12g. And they allow more units. I think we might be the lowest in Europe.

Decanter magazine collected the advice from various health ministries around Europe.

In UK equivalent measures, Spain allows 35 units a week and Italy 31.5 (both for men). Ireland comes in at 21 and France at 26. In Spanish or Italian terms, I'm a lightweight.

• Funny
Reactions: Antje77

Cropmeister

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I prefer Australian guidelines, 4 units a day is a minimum! Just kidding, but it'd funny if it was true ;)