alcohol

mrsb2b

Hen night coming up - any advice on how the alcohol will affect blood sugars.

Am on basal bolus system but only just started. 5units before breakfast 4 units efore each meal and 10 at bedtime.
Should I eat before I drink anything and if so what.

Will be having a meal at Kensington roof gardens but am meeting round friend first for champagne about 3 - do I have to miss out ? :cry:

Thanks

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi mrsb2b,

The 2 golden rules: keep your meter on hand, and have a bloody good time.

There are some other rules to bear in mind though. Alcohol tends to lower blood sugar,which has caught me out more than once. :oops: It also continues to have a blood sugar lowering effect for many hours afterwards, certainly into the following day. Many of us use drinks like red wine in the evenings to keep blood sugars from rising overnight.
Some alcoholic drinks come loaded with added sugars however, and can send blood sugar levels way too high. The list of offenders includes most beers, ciders, cocktails, liquers and mixers other than the diet ones. Spirits themselves are mostly just alcohol, so won't raise your blood sugar at all.
So, the drinks with the least impact on blood sugar levels are dry wines, champagne, and spirits. If you stick to those, and don't go nuts, you should be fine.
It's certainly a good idea to eat before you drink however. This will moderate the effect of the alcohol and slow it's absorbtion into your bloodstream.

Final piece of advice, no-one wants to see your body parts through the limo window, thanks! :)

Have a great time,

fergus

mrsb2b

thanks fergus first time i have laughed about diabetes in a while.

Point noted about the limo - will do ! :lol:

Tinkerbelly

Hi

Have a great time on your Hen night.

From my weekends out clubbing etc vodka seems to have the less impact on causing blood sugar levels to rise so if you can stick to that with diet fizzes.

Most of the wines will play havoc so dont have too many and if you do, try to alternate them with glasses of diet fizzy drinks or mineral water. That way, you wont get too dehydrated.

Hope you dont get too much of a hangover :)

KWCO

Hi

A good choice while clubbing is a vodka with soda just topped - and I mean topped - with orange juice(like 2-4ml). I call this drink a Skoda and its very good as Vodka is "good" (read: less problematic) with diabetes. The very tiny level of orange juice is only to give the drink some taste....

Dont drink more than 2-3 in an evening though....

KIM

Hey

I would say vodka is the best for controlling ur sugars.
i usually drink vodka with diet coke or vodka with fresh orange.
i eat a dinner before hand which has good carbohydrate like potatoes or sumefin then while im out, i eat a couple of packets of crisps and maybe a choco bar and at the end of the nite i get a chippy or have 3 or 4 slices of toast wen i get home lol

but my sugars can come down quite quick sometimes
and i feel i have to eat alot the next day lol !

anyway hope this helps