All These Tv Programmes...

artdecomum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just so fed up with all these programmes and articles saying 'oh go low calorie/low carb for 8 weeks and you will be cured'. I have strictly stuck to 600 to 700 calories a day and less than 10 grammes of carbs for 10 weeks and i have seen only a very slight reduction in BG. Admittedly i started at 30 grm of carbs but that quickly came down. I have lost 2 1/2 stones since april 1 but the bg is not cooperating and all the ' i cured my diabetes in 2 weeks' is really making me depressed and feeling like I am a failure. This is all compounded by one DN telling me I was definately diabetic and another telling me i was pre diabetic. My daily range of BG is usually between 6 and 7, sometimes early morning and late evening it's 5.7 and sometimes it goes up to 7.5, with a couple of 8.1's thrown in for good measure during the afternoon. I really can't eat any less so I guess it is just a matter of waiting to lose the rest of my excess weight and ignoring any more articles and programmes.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am feeling for you on that diet. It is really low calorie. I know some of your sugars would be considered as potentially pre diabetic or diabetic but would suggest you get your HBA1c or 4 month average re checked to establish what the weight loss is doing. If you did see the ITV programme you would see folks with much worse blood sugars and very fat livers who are getting rapid results because they are starting from a worse position than you.
Maybe if the news is good from that long term bg you can continue losing weight with some of the low carb diets featured on this forum. Personally I think its very hard to be low calorie and low carb for more than 8 weeks so you and all of these 'miracle' diabetes reversers are going to have to plan for how to eat a sensible amount of calories without weight re gain.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We must remember that the overwheming majority of us have never had our Insulin Resistance measured and that IR can make all the difference. IR imo is the last symptom/cause that shows any improvement and some of us will not see it for a very long time.

Keep doing what you are doing, you are going in the right direction. Best wishes.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
You are not a failure if you have lost 2 1/2 stone in 10 weeks, you have done amazingly well, particularly on such a restricted diet. Keep going and gradually your bg will come down. Perhaps you should consider eating a few more calories, it may slow the weight loss but it will make the transition to a permanent way of eating easier so all the hard work is not lost within a few months. The winners in weight loss are those who not only lose the weight but keep it off for over a year. Try to keep the rise in bg to less than 2, then about 1.5 when you test two hours after a meal. Without the carbs the weight will still come off but you will start to feel better and more in control around food

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its very confusing for people (I have not seen the programmes as I don't have a TV) Eating 600/700 calories for a while as @NicoleC1971 says "how will they keep the weight off when they finish the plan?" I don't count calories, I just keep to LCHF and keep my carbs very low, 5/6 gms a day. I find this very easy and have to say I don't feel hungry at all and see this as a permanent way of eating for the future. Good luck on what ever path you take. :)