Almased And Insulin

Freethinker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello - I'm Type 2 on insulin and about to start on the Almased diet - obviously my bolus insulin will be reduced each mealtime, but any suggestions based on experience on whether/how much I should reduce my basal? (Presently on 14 morning and 16 night). Thanks in anticipation!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This looks remarkably like the NEwcastle diet with a brand name attached to it?

Freethinker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This looks remarkably like the NEwcastle diet with a brand name attached to it?
quite possibly Tim, but I'm not embarking on it with a view to trying to "reverse" my diabetes, just to lose weight and reduce HbA1C a little ....

Reactions: catsbd

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Almased has (I think) less blood glucose impact than most of the meal replacement shakes - so you will probably need to go carefully with the insulin adjustments.

I bought a tub a couple of years ago, and found it had almost no bg impact at all, but I am T2, so obviously in different circumstances than you are.

Freethinker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Almased has (I think) less blood glucose impact than most of the meal replacement shakes - so you will probably need to go carefully with the insulin adjustments.

I bought a tub a couple of years ago, and found it had almost no bg impact at all, but I am T2, so obviously in different circumstances than you are.
Hi Brunneria - I'm Type 2 as well, but treated with Metformin and insulin. How did you find the Almased, did it work for you?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:) Well, I wasn't looking for a diet/weight loss aid. I wanted an easy, hasslefree 'snack' to stop me nibbling naughties just before bed. The key was that the Almased wouldn't spike me - and it didn't.

I liked the flavour, both plain and with cocoa powder and sweetener.

But there is a lot of soya in the recipe, and it turns out that i am mildly intolerant of soya (makes me sleepy, eyes watery and nose running), so I stopped using it.

Hope that helps. :)

Freethinker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
:) Well, I wasn't looking for a diet/weight loss aid. I wanted an easy, hasslefree 'snack' to stop me nibbling naughties just before bed. The key was that the Almased wouldn't spike me - and it didn't.

I liked the flavour, both plain and with cocoa powder and sweetener.

But there is a lot of soya in the recipe, and it turns out that i am mildly intolerant of soya (makes me sleepy, eyes watery and nose running), so I stopped using it.

Hope that helps. :)
Thanks, that is helpful - may try the cocoa powder additive, buthope it doesn't get me wanting chocolate!