alpha lipoic acid - how much do you take?

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Over the past year I've increased my intake from 300,mg of ala to 600mg of r-ala a day, all in one morning dose.
My sense is it's working well on my neuropathy but I realise this is an increase in the active ingredient of four times.
Just wondered how much others find to be effective and if anyone has read of problems from over use? I believe there was a short term trial based on 600mg of r-ala and this is what I've based my own dosage decision on. I believe in some countries it is now a prescribed remedy for neuropathy but I can't find any reference to prescribed dosage. Just occurs to me if it is excessive I'm either just excreting expensive material or worse still causing some harm.
Really welcome any experiences or thoughts please?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take 600mg of R-ALA split in 2 doses.

I have read that when it is prescribed in Europe it is given by intravenous infusions in large doses, but have no idea how often the infusions are given, or for how long.

Reactions: dbr10

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 600mg of R-ALA split in 2 doses.

I have read that when it is prescribed in Europe it is given by intravenous infusions in large doses, but have no idea how often the infusions are given, or for how long.
Thank you that's helpful. Just wondering how did you settle on that dosage and have you experimented with others?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you that's helpful. Just wondering how did you settle on that dosage and have you experimented with others?

I am so sorry, I was mistaken. I take 200mg of it per day. I just checked the bottle. Each capsule is 100mg. It is the Swanson Ultra Double Strength R-Fraction ALA. Sorry to mislead you. The bottle instructions say to take 1 or 2 capsules per day if used as a dietary supplement.

Reactions: dbr10

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am so sorry, I was mistaken. I take 200mg of it per day. I just checked the bottle. Each capsule is 100mg. It is the Swanson Ultra Double Strength R-Fraction ALA. Sorry to mislead you. The bottle instructions say to take 1 or 2 capsules per day if used as a dietary supplement.
Thank you. I find it confusing sometimes supplements seem to cone in such a range of strengths, and they all seem to say take one or two a day lol. Will look at that brand though, I've been importing from USA but just got a bill from customs, oops!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand that the much mooted German studies of taking ALA for peripheral neuropathy involved taking 600mg of the mix variety per day, so 50% r-ala and 50% s-ala.
I don't think there are any more definitive studies available, if there are I would be interested to read them. It is not a widely known supplement in the UK, doctors, podiatrists and neurologists have never even heard of it.
Personally I gave up taking the mix variety ALA, even though it is much cheaper, and am now taking pure r-ala because of it's supposed substantially better effectiveness and absorption properties.
I have to say, i think this was a wise move as since doing so my neuropathy has improved to the point where it is now noticeable but not particularly bothersome.
After research, I am taking 200mg a day of r-ala (I'm not sure I could afford any more!)

Last edited:

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand that the much mooted German studies of taking ALA for peripheral neuropathy involved taking 600mg of the mix variety per day, so 50% r-ala and 50% s-ala.
I don't think there are any more definitive studies available, if there are I would be interested to read them. It is not a widely known supplement in the UK, doctors, podiatrists and neurologists have never even heard of it.
Personally I gave up taking the mix variety ALA, even though it is much cheaper, and am now taking pure r-ala because of it's supposed substantially better effectiveness and absorption properties.
I have to say, i think this was a wise move as since doing so my neuropathy has improved to the point where it is now noticeable but not particularly bothersome.
After research, I am taking 200mg a day of r-ala (I'm not sure I could afford any more!)
Didn't realise the 600mg in the study was mixed. I'm really thinking of dropping the dose I use. Any pointers to the research material you used please?
Have to agree it is eye watering the price of the r-ala but subjectively it seems more helpful to me anyway.
Great shame the UK NHS doesn't seem to recognise this as it seems way more effective megadosing amiltryptaline

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I don't have neuropathy but after hearing about ALA on this forum and doing my own online research I take one (100mg) daily purely for antioxidant protection as it is hailed as a super antioxidant. They are expensive, the last ones I bought were Dr Best and they are R-Alpha Lipoic Acid at £20 for 60 100mg capsules. I only have 3 left and need to purchase some more. My GP had never heard of Co-enzyme Q10 which I also take as I take statins and taking statins depletes the body of Co-Q 10.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When I had neuropathy I was taking 300 mg Swanson R ALA for about 6 weeks and the neuropathy was gone. Now I take 100-200 for maintenance and antinoxidants. Sometimes I forget the second one as I don't have my tingling feet to remind me!

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Juicetin,
Glad to hear that your neuropathy is much better. So is mine... almost normal now. I am taking 200mg a day of r-ala so same dosage as you. I have also been keeping blood sugar very close to normal range though so that may be helping.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I had neuropathy I was taking 300 mg Swanson R ALA for about 6 weeks and the neuropathy was gone. Now I take 100-200 for maintenance and antinoxidants. Sometimes I forget the second one as I don't have my tingling feet to remind me!
That's really good to hear. Can I ask do you stick to a particular brand?

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I don't have neuropathy but after hearing about ALA on this forum and doing my own online research I take one (100mg) daily purely for antioxidant protection as it is hailed as a super antioxidant. They are expensive, the last ones I bought were Dr Best and they are R-Alpha Lipoic Acid at £20 for 60 100mg capsules. I only have 3 left and need to purchase some more. My GP had never heard of Co-enzyme Q10 which I also take as I take statins and taking statins depletes the body of Co-Q 10.
Well, your GP won't understand then that statins interfere with the mevalonate pathway, which not only reduces cholesterol, but also stops the production of CoQ10. But hey, I'm an engineer and he's a medical professional.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I can recall the source of information, but I read it somewhere. 100-200mg a day of r-ala is supposed to be as equivalent to 600mg of mixed r/s-ala and probably even more efficiently absorbed.
For those asking about specific r-ala brands, i assume it's a personal thing but i have tried just about all the ones available to buy in the UK and joint winners are Life Extension and Doctor's Best. I'm unable to separate them but as the Life Extension are slightly cheaper i'll probably stick with those. The Vitaworld German ones caused my neuropathy to return within 3 days of taking them ! Haven't yet tried Swanson, might give them a go at some point.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Juicetin please can you tell me where you buy your Life Extension and Doctor's Best from?

I use the Swanson at the moment, but they are expensive.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think you will find the Life Extension or Dr's Best any cheaper than Swanson, i may be wrong. I buy from Amazon but have also bought direct from Health Monthly. I have also bought from I-Herb which is a US online seller, it's cheap there but I got stung with a customs and handling charge in the UK so the overall cost was probably more.
There is unbranded r-ala on Ebay which is cheap and supposedly quality tested, but i'm too scared to take the plunge.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think you will find the Life Extension or Dr's Best any cheaper than Swanson, i may be wrong. I buy from Amazon but have also bought direct from Health Monthly. I have also bought from I-Herb which is a US online seller, it's cheap there but I got stung with a customs and handling charge in the UK so the overall cost was probably more.
There aren't many UK companies selling r-ala , it's hard to come by.

Thanks. I know it is difficult to find it in the UK, from trial and error, which is why I was happy to go with Swanson, and they do deliver reasonably quickly.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't understand why it's so hard to buy r-ala in the UK. I buy mine from the USA too but when you do get stung by customs it gets expensive.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't understand why it's so hard to buy r-ala in the UK. I buy mine from the USA too but when you do get stung by customs it gets expensive.
I'm in the US and find it impossible to find on a shelf. I always have to order it.