ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
sure i will, just not sure of optimum dose yet, at the moment i'm taking 800mg daily with no great effect on blood levels or neuropathy...I really need some clear cut advice
@Tim55 how much ALA do you take daily?
SORRY JUST SEEN 250mgs daily.

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
@Tim55 how much ALA do you take daily?
SORRY JUST SEEN 250mgs daily.
Hi Ickihun

Its actually 250mg twice daily, or 500mg per day.

Or TBH it was - as of yesterday I am now taking 3 x 250mg, or 750mg per day, just to see if I can speed up the improvements to my feet.

The comments on here about people taking 800mg daily of the R form made me think upping the dose might help.

Probably coincidence, but my fasting level of 5.2 this morning was the lowest I have seen for some time.....

Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi Ickihun

Its actually 250mg twice daily, or 500mg per day.

Or TBH it was - as of yesterday I am now taking 3 x 250mg, or 750mg per day, just to see if I can speed up the improvements to my feet.

The comments on here about people taking 800mg daily of the R form made me think upping the dose might help.

Probably coincidence, but my fasting level of 5.2 this morning was the lowest I have seen for some time.....
That's excellent fbg.
I will invest in ALA but just wanted to see LCHF diet results. GP said I should be happy with 54 hba1c as it was double that 6 months ago.
Liver good, kidneys good and if thyroid is a bit high in 3 months too he will reduce my thyroid med.
Extent of my numbness for me is off and on. Which indicates to me sugar related.
When I walk on my leg I have pain for days. After a few days of rest has made all the difference recently. Coincidence with lower bgs?
You know Tim your my only advisor. Of which I really appreciate. Thank you. :)

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
That's excellent fbg.
I will invest in ALA but just wanted to see LCHF diet results. GP said I should be happy with 54 hba1c as it was double that 6 months ago.
Liver good, kidneys good and if thyroid is a bit high in 3 months too he will reduce my thyroid med.
Extent of my numbness for me is off and on. Which indicates to me sugar related.
When I walk on my leg I have pain for days. After a few days of rest has made all the difference recently. Coincidence with lower bgs?
You know Tim your my only advisor. Of which I really appreciate. Thank you. :)
No problem, and thanks for the kind words.

I've said before that I am in a much better place now than I was when diagnosed thanks purely to the advice available on here, and if I can help someone else, surely that's the whole point, isn't it?

Reactions: 4 people

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Brief update, if anyone is interested.

Every time I order ALA, the supplier recommends taking Acetyl -L - Carnitine with it.

Having been somewhat encouraged by the ALA effects, this time I bought some of this as well, and I have been taking one per day alongside three x 250 mg ALA.

I have felt improvements to my pain already and it has had a definite affect on my FBG levels.

When I started with this my 16 day rolling average was running along fairly steadily at around 5.4, but since upping the dose and adding the Carnitine it has fallen in more or less a straight line to around 5.2, and it may yet continue to fall.

The highest result I have seen is this mornings 5.7, but I only took 2 ALA yesterday, and the average of the 21 results I have seen since starting is 5.1.

71.4% of them are between 5.0 and 5.8, the remaining 28.6% being between 4.6 and 4.9.This compares to previous results where, of 437 results, 73.2% were between 5 and 5.9 and only 13.7% were below 5.0.

Ok, I know its difficult to draw firm conclusions from such limited data, but it looks pretty encouraging to me :)